Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / MapQuest broken again?

Subject:MapQuest broken again? 

jpennycook

14:47
Sunday
9-Mar-2014

Has the link to MapQuest broken again? I can't get MQ:Cycling to return any results. The CycleStreets options work fine.

Stephen

15:24
Sunday
9-Mar-2014

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

I've had a look but I can't see any problems here, although I've looked on the server log and the route that you are generating does return an 'Unable to calculate route' message from MapQuest. This might be because the start or end point are not close enough to a path or road for them to calculate a valid route...?

Regards,
Stephen

jpennycook

19:33
Sunday
9-Mar-2014

Thanks for checking Stephen.

Perhaps MapQuest is more sensitive to such things than CycleStreets. I'll try again later or tomorrow.

Jon

jpennycook

16:49
Monday
10-Mar-2014

MQ Walking and MQ Fastest (driving?) work fine, but I have found another combination of origin and destination that MQ Cycling generates no results for, and both are next to major roads.

Stephen

20:02
Monday
10-Mar-2014

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jon,

I don't know if they've made some changes recently but it looks like the MapQuest API has very strict rules on which OpenStreetMap road types are cyclable and which aren't, which leads to them not being able to route along several main roads. Try recreating your cycling route using the MapQuest site to see if it gives the same result, I've found several routes that it also can't handle, eg this short one...

Cheers,
Stephen

jpennycook

21:43
Tuesday
11-Mar-2014

Hello Stephen.

I've checked the same route on the MapQuest website, and it does the same thing - it will give me walking and driving directions, but not cycling ones. If only they were as easily contactable as, or published how they process OSM data like CycleStreets.

Jon

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)