Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / can search be improved?

Subject:can search be improved? 

jose1711

11:50
Friday
13-Apr-2012

Phone Model:
bb, e51

hi stephen,

i think one of the weak points (not saying there are many) of tmj is the search dialog. why i came to this:

1) i noticed many routing apps make the search button quickly accessible placing it on the very first menu screen - often right under the cursor. in TMJ you have to go Menu -> Web -> Find place -> Find place. the worst thing is that you cannot assign a shortcut to access it faster.

2) many offline navigations autocomplete address as you type. now i am not sure how or even if this is possible with online navigation, but what would be nice is to autocomplete previously entered entries at least. or have them listed in that large oddly looking empty space below the Find Place. (the way how google maps does that for instance)

3) is it possible to turn off question about search radius -> have the possibility to set this fixed in settings? i always want global search as i know what the exact address is. for me it is just an unnecessary question that slows me down a little bit.

ok, enough for now. please don't get me wrong - search is working quite well (since i have the option to use mapquest api), but everytime i search for something in tmj, i keep asking why there's no better way..

cheers,

jose

Stephen

13:27
Saturday
14-Apr-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jose,

The search function is rather hidden away - it was never intended to be a major feature, but I agree it could be improved!

" 1) ... the worst thing is that you cannot assign a shortcut to access it faster. "

Good point, I'll add the Find Place menu into the list of available shortcut key actions.

" 2) many offline navigations autocomplete address as you type. now i am not sure how or even if this is possible with online navigation, but what would be nice is to autocomplete previously entered entries at least. or have them listed in that large oddly looking empty space below the Find Place. "

Mmm, as you say, I can't see how the address autocompletion could work, but I will make it remember the recently searched terms and list them in the Find Place menu

" 3) is it possible to turn off question about search radius -> have the possibility to set this fixed in settings? i always want global search as i know what the exact address is. for me it is just an unnecessary question that slows me down a little bit. "

This one I will keep as it is... Once set, you can just leave it as it is, but if you are searching for POI types, eg 'pubs', then the search radius is important since it will otherwise just list a few random pubs from anywhere in the world, rather than the (probably intended) local area!

Cheers,
Stephen

jose1711

11:16
Monday
7-May-2012

Phone Model:
bb, e51

3) ok, maybe turning off (or optionally disabling) is not the best idea - i actually used it today :-) but you could maybe glue the dialog windows together

*4) have you considered using enter as a shortcut to Lookup function? it would be nice to see - at least on blackberry. i doubt anyone would need to enter newline character in a query..

jose1711

20:18
Thursday
10-May-2012

Phone Model:
bb, e51

5) i neither found an easy way how to always get search results sorted by distance from actual position - i know i can get this by going to go to location -> search results but this is cumbersome. maybe if you could make it remember the last setting.. or have the option to switch between modes in menu [2], it would be a nice improvement.

Stephen

9:00
Friday
11-May-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jose,

" have you considered using enter as a shortcut to Lookup function? it would be nice to see - at least on blackberry "

I've had a look at this, but the J2ME TextBox object doesn't appear to offer any 'keypress' events, which would be needed to handle the Enter key function... (Incidentally the TextField object does have this event, but I moved away from using this for the input window a while ago - I can't remember the exact reason but I think it was to improve compatibility with different J2ME implementations). I agree though, the Enter key behaviour would definitely be useful!

" i neither found an easy way how to always get search results sorted by distance from actual position "

Once on the Waypoints screen [2], pressing [2] repeatedly toggles by ordering alphabetically and by distance. However I think there may be a minor bug with the search results where it doesn't sort the list when the results are first displayed - just press [2] once or twice to force the re-sort. I'll look into this...

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)