Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Systematic and random GPS errors (GPS Question, no...

Subject:Systematic and random GPS errors (GPS Question, not a TMJ issue) 

ranchodoug

4:19
Sunday
18-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
Blackberry 9930

Stephan,

Now that my tracks are looking good (TMJ is working quite well) I've paid more attention to GPS accuracy.

Perhaps you could shed a little light on general GPS errors.

When I stop at a traffic light or stop while walking I can often see a cloud of points at my position up to +/- 10m random error (the minimum distance between track points is intentionally set low). Garmin claims a 15m accuracy so I guess I can't complain about +/-10m errors on a cell phone.

However, while moving there seems to be a systematic error. About 2/3 of my trackpoints are within 10m of their true position as shown on google earth, close to 1/3 are within 20m, and a few percent can be up to 80m off. What's odd is the errors aren't random. When the track is off, all the errors are in the same direction, as if a big section of the track has been shifted. It almost looks like the estimate for each trackpoint is based on the prior point, so once the track is off it stays off (e.g., lowpass filtered).

Are the GPS errors I'm seeing typical?

Thanks,

Doug

MrTom

17:33
Sunday
18-Mar-2012

ranchodoug said" About 2/3 of my trackpoints are within 10m of their true position as shown on google earth, close to 1/3 are within 20m, and a few percent can be up to 80m off. What's odd is the errors aren't random."

I have noticed this also, but I am NOT absolutely positive that the Google maps and indicated GPS positions are perfectly accurate and are the true positions..I know that the GPS positions shown by TMJ match the GPS positions shown on dedicated stand alone devices that my hiking partners have.

So is it a GPS error or is it a Google error????

Stephen

10:17
Monday
19-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Guys,

Doug, overall I'd say that yes, the errors that you're getting are typical GPS idiosyncrasies... a few ideas to note though:

- with such a low minimum distance then yes you'll definitely end up with the point clouds that you're seeing. If you zoom in a lot to the Plan Screen [4] then you'll see the fix jumping around quite a bit. The 15m or whatever accuracy that a particular GPS device might claim essentially defines a radius around the actual point that it might achieve under best conditions, but each individual fix could be anywhere within this circle. I'd definitely recommend increasing your minimum distance (to maybe 10 metres or more) - you're just recording noise otherwise.

- the systematic error that you've described is also something I get occasionally, usually at the start of a track just after switching on the GPS (though I have perhaps noticed it more with an external bluetooth GPS without the 'fast-first-fix' that an internet-connected phone can provide). It tends to show as a contant offset, sometimes of 100m or more, where the shape of the track looks correct (bends and turns are maintained), but everything is shifted some distance from the actual track. After a minute or two the GPS usually self-corrects and the track jumps back into place. Alternatively a GPS restart (if using an external GPS) usually fixes it manually.

- when using the GPS for driving, is the phone in a position to maximise reception? If your car has a heated front windscreen (with the tiny wires built into the glass) then this can block the GPS signal, increasing the errors and noise. If so then it might be worth trying a bluetooth GPS that can be placed in a better location to maximise reception.

- as Tom mentions, Google or Bing etc alignment can itself be out by several metres in places, and is likely to be especially problematic on steeper ground.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
Stephen

ranchodoug

6:58
Tuesday
20-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
Blackberry 9930

MrTom, Stephen,

Thanks. Most errors I've seen appear to be about expected, but errors up to 80m seemed high. The extreme errors tended to be in the 'Who Cares?' regions of the map so perhaps there were no GPS/image correction control points in the vicinity.

My minimum trackpoint (TP) to TP distance has to stay small. I like to walk at the Wild Animal Park in San Diego for exercise. The paths twist/turn frequently so a 10m-15m minimum distance creates a terribly distorted linear approximation of the true track. TMJ is sort of like my pedometer, although it's quite interesting to retrace my steps. With a GPS update rate at once per sec and with a minimum track distance to 1-2m the track is excellent. The few random TP clouds when I stop are quite acceptable. The clouds are almost like waypoints.

That is, until last Sunday. Unfortunately the Activity Profile was set to Driving (default?) while I was walking (the Profile has such a large affect on the track that I think changes to the Profile should require confirmation). Even allowing for the wrong Profile, the tracks were at times extremely erratic and bad. If I believed the tracks, I was both meandering (off by up to 600m) and in brief spurts running (at isolated points over 200 km/hr) through the Asia and Africa paddocks of the Park. There are rhinos and cape buffaloes in those paddocks. I don't remember any large beasts chasing after me, so was likely not at the reported locations. Stephen, if you look at 'Auto-Track (Sun 18th Mar 2012)' you'll see what I mean. The large green/tan areas are the open areas where the herbivores (small and large) roam free. But, if the GPS positions were actually correct, points in the 176 to 185 region were well inside the lion pen and I also don't recall being chased by Lions, so probably wasn't there either. GPS errors were extreme that day.

It was drizzling, not really raining, but wet. The phone was inside my left breast shirt pocket, face to me, covered by a light jacket. Have you seen light rain affect GPS by such an extreme? The GPS errors were far more serious than I've seen in the few weeks I've been experimenting with TMJ. I didn't bother looking at the GPS logs since every time I've looked, TMJ was faithfully using every GPS position reported by the phone. As you mentioned, once the track was off by a large margin, it tended to stay off track with the same bias error for some time, then recovered.

The systematic errors I mentioned previously were after I'd been driving for at least 15 minutes. I don't think the car has an electric windshield. If so, it wasn't turned on. The phone is usually on the center console, face up, while driving. The ground I'm driving/walking on isn't typically that steep, but there are sometimes cliffs nearby so maybe there is some multipath. This last weekend the errors are particularly bad so maybe it was a combination effect.

If these errors are typical of a BBerry 9930 I'll just live with them, but wondering if they were experienced by others.

Thanks,

Doug

Stephen

21:07
Wednesday
21-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Doug,

I've had a look at that track from the Animal Park and yes it is quite poor! I've generally found that when I get the large constant-error problem it happens right at the start after switching the GPS on, then once it has had enough time to find all available satellites it jumps into place and is fine from then on. Yours seems different as it starts okay, then jumps away, then comes back again. I noticed that one of the speed spikes is where you are near (or inside?) a building around point 180.

I would otherwise be tempted to blame the phones GPS, but since your 9930 is newer (and more powerful) than my Torch 9800 I guess it should have the same or better GPS bits internally - I've generally found the GPS in the 9800 to be very good (and significantly better than my older Curve 8900). The only difference may be that the 9930 (if I'm correct) uses the 'CDMA' network, whereas here it is all GSM/GPRS/3G, although I don't see that this should affect the GPS side of things...

I would definitely recommend trying an external bluetooth GPS device (around $30-40 from Amazon). Other benefits of this is that TMJ will then display more detail about the Satellites in use, there is less drain on the phone battery, and as mentioned previously it can be placed in an optimum place for reception. (I've heard of some cyclists sticking the GPS to the top of their cycle helmet!!)

One thing you could try, to see whether the phone network has an effect is to disable Location Aiding (this is where the phone downloads satellite info from the web, rather than getting it more slowly from the satellites themselves). It will then be slower to get an initial fix, but *may* have some effect on the accuracy generally. (Very much a long-shot though!!). Turn it off via BlackBerry Options/Device/Location Settings/Location Aiding (this is from OS6, OS7 might be slightly different). Untick the TMJ Menu/GPS/GPS Options/Allow Costs option at the same time.

Also, what values are you getting for the GPS's Horizontal and Vertical Accuracy (on the first Text Screen [1])?

To reduce the speed spikes you can also set a Max Track Speed on your walking profile. It'll then not record any points which would result in a higher speed than given. For my own Walking profile I have this set to 4.9mph. Note that you will then have to remember to change the profile back to Driving when getting in the car, otherwise no track will be recorded at all!

Cheers,
Stephen

MrTom

22:14
Wednesday
21-Mar-2012

I wish we could post graphic attachments. I took a hike yesterday and had TMJ set to "walking" mode. Forgot to turn it off as we drove home. The track when reviewed in Google Hybrid was right on from the start point, through a wash bed back to the truck location. It was correctly shown on the return highway drive exactly to each of our houses.

I have an old Blackberry Pearl 8120 with an external Freedom2000 GPS. I am very satisfied with its accuracy.
At other forums I have seen numerous complains about the inaccuracy of internal phone GPS.
I tend to question the accuracy of the various maps and there might even be inaccuracies in the maps with respect to who made them and where they were made.

As indicated, yesterdays track was correctly shown in the Google Hybrid map. Yet when I take a walk in my local neighborhood the Google maps are about 15 feet to the East with respect to the GPS track. Seems inconsistent as yesterdays track took me exactly to my house.

I know the maps in my area are made by a company that drives around in a Hummer SUV with a GPS unit on the roof. They then transmit the GPS and graphical data to Google. Haven't been able to talk to them yet about what calibrations they make to the equipment.
Yesterdays track showed a max elevation of 1701.2 meter which = 5 581 feet. Delorem Topo USA show that point as 5989 feet and graphically puts us on top of a mesa that I know we did not reach.

Consumer GPS units, data, and maps are prone to errors( some intentional ) and we have to accept that fact for now. In the USA the data comes from government owned satellites. In China the maps are intentionally m1s-calibrated. Hopefully that will change with the advent of private GPS satellites.

ranchodoug

20:05
Thursday
22-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
Blackberry 9930

Stephen,

Thanks - I've turned off the Allow Costs in TMJ and Location Assist on the phone.

The building I was near is the Lion exhibit/barn. I've been inside before (one of the keepers gave me a personal tour) but I wasn't inside that day. There is likely a lot of metal in the structure but when you look at if from the outside it looks like a bunch of rocks. What's odd is a lot of the track (points about 100 to 180) is shifted East by 1bout 500m.

I'll try another track during my next walk at the park.

I may try an external GPS but I hate carrying anything I don't have to.

Thanks,

Doug

ranchodoug

0:10
Sunday
25-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
Blackberry 9930

Stephen,

I'm not sure if turning off Allow Costs and Location Assist, or just no rain solved the problem but a track this morning was just fine. I guess I'll just monitor the evolving track more carefully in the future.

Thanks for you help,

Doug

Stephen

16:54
Sunday
25-Mar-2012

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Doug,

Mmm, thats interesting - as you say, its not definitively the Allow Costs thats done it (as well as the weather it could just be that the satellites were in worse positions initially - they are continously moving so at sometime there are more overhead than at other times). Be interested to hear how the monitoring goes, and maybe switch the Allow Costs/Location Assist back on at some point to see if the problems come recur...

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)