Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / TMJ hangs on Blackberry 9700

Subject:TMJ hangs on Blackberry 9700 

dgmanns

20:58
Sunday
6-Nov-2011

I love TMJ when its working. However I have several times had a serious. My phone is T-mobile Bold, 6.0.115 (the official T-Mobile build), TMJ v0.7.9 (full version). I use the internal GPS.

Several times when out on a hike, with TMJ displaying OSM (screen 6) and tracking, the screen freezes. TMJ then won't respond to any keys or the trackpad. Long press on menu brings up the screen of running apps and other apps can be used (though run slower than usual). Selecting TMJ icon does not restore TMJ screen, in fact seems to do nothing. Seems like TMJ is looping?

After battery pull, TMJ will open up and if one quickly selects a non-map screen (e.g. screen 1), the selected screen works fine. I have web enabled on startup, but even if I disable web before doing so, selecting any map screen (vector or raster) causes TMJ to go catatonic after a very few seconds.

If I remove/reinstall TMJ, it seems to work for at least one hike, but on a second or subsequent outing problem recurs. I think it has sometimes worked for more than one outing.

Any ideas?

Stephen

10:28
Tuesday
8-Nov-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Yes, I have come across this bug occasionally myself (though not for several months on my own phone), unfortunately it seems so sporadic that I've had a lot of trouble recreating it to get to the bottom of it. I've generally encountered it from screen [4], though I suspect that it might be related to the plotting of the track line over the map, which uses the same code for both screen [4] and [6], so its not surprising that it occurs on screen [6] as well. Which type of raster maps are you using (online or offline)?

Could you try running TMJ for a while without having the track displaying on the Map screen (untick the View Options/Track option) and see if this stops the freezing. (If so then it'll hugely narrow down the bug code).

Incidentally, if it does freeze, instead of pulling the battery you should be able to use the BlackBerry LeftAlt+RightShift+Del shortcut (slightly quicker than removing the back). Also, when restarting TMJ press the [*] key whilst it is loading, this clears the track and route at startup so should avoid the need to fully remove/reinstall.

Thanks,
Stephen

dgmanns

13:36
Tuesday
8-Nov-2011

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for this reply, I will try using with track not displayed and let you know what happens. Raster map source is online (OSM tiles).

I looked at the track posted on the web site from the last occasion the problem occurred and have some observations, see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dCos7NB7ny1Gkz4mZBpfj4mL2b0bnYbn5UEpR22njpg/edit

I drove to a walking location and turned on TMJ. It then appears to have created 5 track sections with the last known GPS location (my home), presumably while it acquired the GPS signal, then started recording the actual track (section 5). As I walked only a short distance before TMJ froze, section 5 must also start with the spurious home location. On the display, the map was showing the walk location and the displayed track was consistent with just the walking portion (i.e., it didn't show a line pointing back to 'home') It must have stopped sending back to the web site when it froze, as I didn't notice the problem and reboot until some time later (but much earlier than the 16:34 end time shown)

One other observation from when I used TrekBuddy. On at least on occasion, I recorded a track which included a spurious point with long and lat both zero (a short diversion across the atlantic). Is it possible the problem could be triggered by such a false GPS reading?

Cheers,
David

dgmanns

13:44
Tuesday
8-Nov-2011

PS
As I think about it, the home location would have been the last location seen by TMJ, but not the last GPS location on the device. This because I used GPS navigation (Waze) to drive to the walk location immediately before the walk. Waze was turned off before starting TMJ so GPS receiver on the device would have been inactive at that point.

David

dgmanns

18:40
Wednesday
9-Nov-2011

I have new information!

Today when I went for my walk I started up with raster maps displayed, all the display track options turned off in each page's view options. Walked for nearly an hour, the map was showing my location and all was fine. Then I noticed that the distance traveled in the top right corner of the display had reset to zero and was no longer changing.

Looking at the track in screen 1, it show duration, points (147) and max speed, but distance, avg speed, grad. and alt. all zero. I then went back to screen 6 and all was still working (except distance traveled). Decided to turn on show track and TMJ immediately froze. view options screen was still displayed.

On reboot, TMJ came up and started a new track section. The show track option was off, obviously options had not been saved at time of failure.

The track is on the TMJ web site. Downloading to csv, I notice that the end section marker is in row 165, not 148 as I expected. The only oddity I can see is that there is a long string of points showing altitude zero.

Perhaps this is a 'poisoned' track that you could use to perhaps find the bug?

Let me know if/how you would like me to send you the track.

David

Stephen

20:31
Wednesday
9-Nov-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi David,

Its interesting that the Track Distance had reset to zero. I've been looking into the track display code, which is clearly related, but it sounds like theres more to it than that! Similar to what you mentioned previously, I am also suspicious that it is possibly related to spurious GPS points that might crop up every now and then, although this *shouldnt* affect the track distance calculation (or at least it should still calculate some length, even if it is way higher than it should be!)

Incidentally I think the uploaded track point discrepancy might be a red herring. When uploading, the phones live location is also occasionally included in the website track (which might not otherwise correlate to a recorded track point), so trackpoint indices may vary very slightly between the phone and website.

However, I wonder, have you cleared that track from the phone yet? (Crosses fingers!!) If not, could you use the Menu/File/Export Track/CSV File function to save the track to the phones memory card and then email that to me (I'll send you the address), as that *may* give a better clue to the problem. With luck I'll be able to load it into the Java simulator and recreate the error...

Incidentally, do you have the GPS Logging enabled at all? This stores the raw data from the GPS devices so might be useful if it crashes similarly in future. (Under Menu/GPS/Log Options set the Log Folder to a location on the memory card, Log Type to 'Raw GPX' then tick Log Active)...

Thanks!
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)