Forums / General Topics / TRACKS-Importing and Exporting as GPX

Subject:TRACKS-Importing and Exporting as GPX 

MrTom

16:53
Saturday
19-Mar-2011

The TMJ Main Menu>File>> has options to
(5) Import a Track as either a CSV or OZI file and
(6) Export a Track permits a GPX file to be exported.

Is there a way to import a GPX track file? If not is that an option that is being considered for future TMJ versions?
Thanks

ChrisM

15:44
Monday
21-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,

Don't know if it helps, but you can import a track from a GPX file via the TMJ website (MyAccount->Upload), then upload it onto your phone, via the TMJ application (via MainMenu->web->DownLoad Route->WebFolders).

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

16:06
Monday
21-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Tom,

I have considered a GPX import function in the past but figured that a full XML/GPX parser would add a fair chunk to the code, so I decided to leave it out in favour of other functions.

Having said that, it might be possible to add a *very* basic GPX import, which would at least be able to read the files exported from TMJ, but it might have trouble with files from other sources that use a different set of GPX extensions, etc...

As Chris mentioned, there is the website GPX importer which can be used in conjunction with the Download Route function. I could alternatively add a Download Track as CSV or OZI file to the website Track page, as a workaround for converting a GPX file to CSV/OZI...?

Cheers,
Stephen

MrTom

17:00
Monday
21-Mar-2011

Hello,
  Yes, I am aware that GPX files can be imported from the website. When I run TMJ with a GPS it automatically starts to track and on closing the file is saved to the SD card. I was looking for a way to import previous and new tracks that have been saved when away from an internet connection.
   Thanks for the reply,
Tom

ChrisM

10:12
Tuesday
22-Mar-2011

Phone Model:

Rather than having to write a parser to import GPX files, would it be easier to allow exporting a track as a CSV, then the track could be re-imported using the existing code?
Not sure if it would suit MrTom's requirements, but might be easier/lighter to code...(?)

Chris.

MrTom

16:57
Tuesday
22-Mar-2011

Hello,
  I appreciate the interest in my question. I am apparently the only one who has inquired about this. I do not expect that the TMJ coding will be changed just for me. I found it interesting that TMJ saves a track to my SD card in GPX format and permits exportation in that format, but I cannot reopen it directly from the card.
  It would be convenient but not necessary. Given all the other great features of TMJ, I am happy with it and can accept it as it is.
Thanks,
Tom

ChrisM

9:44
Wednesday
23-Mar-2011

Phone Model:

You're not the only one, MrTom. I've thought, on occasion, that it would be useful to be able to reload (and then may convert to a route) a track from the memory card that I've previously saved (and without having to go via the internet). As with you, it's not a biggie, but definitely a 'would be nice'.
As I suggested in my previous post, as far as I'm concerned, the requirement is not necessarily being able to import from a GPX file, but to have any common format between the export and import functions.

Thanks,

Chris.

MikeD

14:28
Saturday
20-Aug-2011

I am new to TMJ and have been reading the forum trying to get a handle on the issues associated with importing and exporting GPX and CSV files. I have been trying to import routes from bikely.com and waypoints from geocashing.com in the GPX format but with little success. If GPX files have lots of different extensions that make it difficult to build a general purpose parser, would it make sence to address the issues associated with importing from some of the more popular web sites? I am assuming the forum members can help provide direction for what they care about.

I was also wondering about making some improvments to the CSV importer. Currently the title line is viewed as a comment. Could you not take advatage of this as a way of making the CSV import more powerful?

Today:
Header Line
51.3, -0.3
51.2, -0.1
51.4, 0.2
51.3, 0.1

Proposal: Introduce fixed headers like Lat, Lon, Ele ... If the headers are present that column of data is imported. I am sure that there are other additional tags that may be helpful to folks as well.

Lat, Long, Elv51.3, -0.3, 0
51.2, -0.1, 5
51.4, 0.2, 3
51.3, 0.1, 0

Regardless of what happens here, I want to thank the creators. I am having a blast using and learning. 

-= Mike

MikeD

20:16
Saturday
20-Aug-2011

Stephen looked at some of the bikely.com files and deturmined that they dont contain time data. I took his advise below and sucessfully imported them.

"Aha, got it - these GPX tracks don't contain any timing data, which the import process expects by default. To get around this, on the Import GPX File page just change the 'Min time between points' to 'Dont use time field (import as Route)', then it should work ok again..."

-= Mike

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)