Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Cacheing Vector Tiles Via PC???

Subject:Cacheing Vector Tiles Via PC??? 

ChrisM

9:14
Friday
4-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hello,

Just wondered if there was any way of accessing vector map tiles via my laptop, and then copying them to the memory card on my phone? It's a bit of a slow process doing it directly on the phone, especially European maps, as they seem to take ages for the server to generate (lots of blue squares in the download status...). Don't suppose there is any simple way of downloading them directly from the TMJ server to my computer?

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

12:42
Friday
4-Mar-2011

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Actually, you've just implied exactly why I've (purposely) not included offline downloading of the vector tiles - the server simply wouldnt be able to cope!!
In general with the phone downloading tiles as you travel along this keeps the server load down to a manageable level, and even the process of having to manually scroll the map to download tiles in advance (fiddly though I know this can be sometimes) minimises the load too, even with WiFi phones. If suddenly there was the possibility of downloading an entire region or city area in one go, I think the server would probably explode. (For example it'd only take one person to try and download, say, Berlin, and the server would be locked out tile rendering for several hours!)

Having said all that, if you want to let me know the area you're heading for (either here or off-list) then I can probably get the server to pre-render some of it in advance (in a lower-priority thread), which should help reduce the 'blue squares' issue!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)