Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Cant get raster onto phone

Subject:Cant get raster onto phone 

bigalnz

23:41
Monday
27-Dec-2010

Hi Guys,

I have a Nokia N95 8Gb. I want to get some raster marine charts into TMJ Mobile, specifically this one:

http://www.linz.govt.nz/hydro/charts/nz202-chart-catalogue/acknowledge.aspx?chart_num=5324

My process was:

1. Download the tiff
2. Crop to chart extents
3. Resave as jpg
4. Enter the image extents in TMJ map organiser in DD.DDD where South is Negative and East is positive
5. I got a bit confused about what I should use for tile sizes here.
6. Export as TMJ file

Anyway put it (tmj file) on phone and load it into the map application (6 key, menu, raster map source etc)

Then generates a error message:

"NO MAP LOADED"
Use 'Map Context Menu/Raster Map Source" to select map

I think I have shared all my attempts at :

http://www.mediafire.com/?lk114z8cryffwch

Any help appreciated

-Al

Stephen

11:19
Tuesday
28-Dec-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Al,

I've had a look at your converted file - you're almost there but I think you've entered the Latitude/Longitude extents in the wrong order. Make sure that the 'Latitude Top' figure equates to the top/northern edge of the map (so in the southern hemisphere this will be a *smaller* negative number than the 'Latitude Bottom' figure). ie, from your file the figures should be (roughly):
Lat Top: -35.948
Lat Bottom: -36.683
Lng Left: 174.231
Lng Right: 174.83

The tile size just needs to be at least as large as your phones screen resolution - the default 320x320 is fine for the N95.

Note that since the original is in a Transverse Mercator projection there will be a slight inaccuracy in the marked location on the phone, although the map covers a relatively small area so this error should be fairly minimal.

Finally, as the original only uses a few colours you may be better off using the PNG image format in step 3, which should result in a smaller filesize. (The JPEG format should still work okay otherwise)...

Cheers,
Stephen

bigalnz

16:17
Tuesday
28-Dec-2010

I have another go.

Error on phone still:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4rgq5gvfa476x4v

-Cheers

-Al

bigalnz

16:20
Tuesday
28-Dec-2010

Hang about - neither of the lats should be 35 - 36 for both looking at extents written in top right of downloaded chart and bottom left.

Stephen

17:24
Tuesday
28-Dec-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Doh! Yeah sorry, I was getting those figures above by examining the file in a text editor, but forgot that the values in the file won't necessarily correspond to those needed in the Map Organizer (they are related, but are shifted slightly to align to a tile boundary - just ignore my previous figures!).

The correct ones (converted directly from the D M.MM values given in the original) are:
Bottom: -36.91
Top: -36.6833333
Left: 174.83
Right: 175.2683333

I've tried creating a new tmj file here and it seems to work okay with those figures... (I can email it to you if it'll help)

One further thought - have you been able to load any maps on the phone at all, eg the Simple World Map file. Not sure why you're getting the NO MAP LOADED message (even if the calibration is out)...?

Cheers,
Stephen

bigalnz

19:25
Tuesday
28-Dec-2010

Yeah I got it going now.

So the raster is displayed only in map [6] ?

Looks pretty darn good little app.

-Al

Stephen

20:01
Tuesday
28-Dec-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Cool!

Yep, the other map-related screens (4/5/8) are for the OSM-based vector maps and pseudo-3D views. Admittedly these won't have too much off-shore detail (if any), so might not be too useful for you...!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)