Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Organizing maps downloaded from web option

Subject:Organizing maps downloaded from web option 

MrTom

21:31
Wednesday
3-Nov-2010

Hello, TMJ page #6,Map, allows raster maps to be downloaded from the web in 7 different formats. Is it possible to organize the various maps in sections according to map locations, for instance cities or routes , and in a particular map style, OSM Cyclemap or OSM"mapnik" etc? The same question would apply to TMJ page #4 ,Plan, which is apparently vector maps.

Currently, I am saving the maps on the phones SD card in one large single folder. In some locations I have to use multiple map styles and cannot differentiate between the various map styles when off-line. Dependence on the web for various maps is not feasible for me as I do a lot of driving and hiking in remote areas that have NO cell or web connections.

I have read all of the information relating to the "TMJ-MapOrganizer" and find the process cumbersome, too time consuming and would like to avoid it if possible.
Thanks,

Stephen

22:35
Wednesday
3-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

I'm afraid the MapOrganiser is the only way to generate a map for totally offline use, although admittedly it is a bit fiddly!

I you're using a phone that allows unrestricted access to the SD card then try setting the Menu/Settings/Debug/Select Map Cache Folder, which will then store the downloaded raster and vector map tile cache on the memory card rather than the restricted internal memory. You can then scroll around the area that you'll be visiting in advance (whilst in mobile coverage) to pre-cache the necessary tiles, which will then be available for use offline. I'd recommend only doing this for a couple of the styles - they all use the same OSM data so there's not a lot of point in duplicating them all.

(Note that the cache files are controlled by TMJ so its not possible to rearrange these into different locations, etc)

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Stephen

MrTom

18:42
Friday
5-Nov-2010

I have answered my own question. When using "Menu/Settings/Debug/Select Map Cache Folder" to store online down loads to the phones SD card, one can use any folder title desired. A folder directory tree can be set up to store the various downloads.
For instance:
Nov Yellowstone Trip
    * Drive Mapnik Zoom13
    * Parkmap Cyclemap zoom 15
    * Jackson Hole City Map
There does not appear to be a menu function to switch to the various folders. One must switch back to using the phones memory and then switch back to the card again and select the desired folder. Inconvenient but possible.
Note: When reverting back to the phones memory a clearing of the cache is indicated. This DOES NOT clear any of the information that is stored on the SD card.
Thanks

Stephen

21:37
Friday
5-Nov-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I'm not sure why you'd want to keep changing the cache storage folder for each particular area. Is your memory card very low on space, so that you might then move each cache to a PC to only be reused when needed again?

If space isn't an issue then in general you might as well just leave TMJ to stick everything into one single root folder and it'll then all be available without any inconvenience!! (Thats the idea anyhow!)

MrTom

23:23
Friday
5-Nov-2010

Yes, phones RAM is the issue.
I currently have a Blackberry 8120.
Specs indicate:
Memory 64 MB (internal memory available to user for storage).
The SD card is 16gb, so I tend to want to use the card as much as possible and save the RAM for apps.

Thanks,

wicher

17:13
Monday
4-Nov-2013

Hi Stephen,

it seems that you haven't released a new version of MapOrganiser ever since this conversation was ended. What is the status of Cycle Maps accessibility through MapOrganiser? Do you think you could fix it in near future? It's very handy for hiking due to level lines.

Cheers

Wicher

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)