Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Only send on new trackpoint

Subject:Only send on new trackpoint 

LeCoux

21:37
Wednesday
14-Jul-2010

Using Sony Ericsson k850 with garmin bluetooth gps unit.
Everithing is working fine, but when option "Only send on new trackpoint" is activated, there are no track on web, neither current location. Like I didn't move at all. Any ideas how to fix it?.

Without that option, my data thruput over GPRS will become too large and too expensive.

Stephen

22:06
Wednesday
14-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi LeCoux,

I'm assuming that you *were* moving, and recording new trackpoints, when it didn't seem to be uploading?

Must admit I haven't used this option myself for a while, so its possible that a bug has crept in at some point. I'll try it out tomorrow, and see if I can recreate the same problem... will let you know...

Cheers,
Stephen

LeCoux

22:59
Wednesday
14-Jul-2010

Situation was like this. I configured phone, then left car standing with java app on, and gps on for few hours. When i start driving, it didn't start reporting my movement (tried it many times with same result).
When option "only send on new trackpoint" is unchecked, everytjhing is working perfectly except repotring same location all the time when car is standing still.

Thanks for quick response on this.

Stephen

21:18
Thursday
15-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi LeCoux,

I had a play with the 'Only Send on New Trackpoint' function today (using the latest version - v0.7.5, coincidentally just released yesterday)...

It actually seemed to work okay, although it did flag up a couple of things which I thought might have an effect on your setup...

- are you starting with an empty track? If you reach the 100-trackpoint limit in the basic version then no further trackpoints will be added, which then won't trigger the web upload. Best thing is to use Menu/Clear/Track when starting TMJ. (Or pressing the [*] key at startup is a shortcut to this)

- what do you have set as the Transmit Interval? I suspect that this may be the issue. The way that the 'Only Send on New Trackpoint' function works is as follows:

1. Enable Web
2. Connect and send initial 'hello' transmission to website
3. Wait for period defined by the Transmit Interval
4. TEST: Have any new trackpoints been added since last transmission? If YES, then it *should* now reconnect and send new transmission.
5. Return to step 3 and repeat...

So, if you have set a very high Transmit Interval then at the point where a new trackpoint is added (and you might expect that it should then connect and transmit again), it could actually take almost another complete transmission period before it does connect. Could this match what you're seeing, or is it definitely never connecting at all?

Maybe try it with *either* a long transmission interval *or* the 'Only Send on New Trackpoint' option set, but not both...

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

LeCoux

22:45
Thursday
15-Jul-2010

Hy Stephen,

My web update interval was 60 sec, so that's ok.
Minimal track length set to 130m
Minimal track time set to 30 sec.

What could be is 100 points limit problem, and I will test this in the morning. (now is midnight in my country).

I would like to use it 24/7 with no maintanance on the mobile side and minimum cost to GSM provider.

How much trackpoints is allowed in full version? Can I setup application automaticaly delete old trackpoints especialy if they vere uploaded to web?

Is there sms feature to configure geofence to notice me if border is crossed?

I will get back tomorow, and it seems to me that I will have to pay first to test device with more than 100 points max for period of 48 hours. Isn't it? Do U have an option to test full aplication on period of 1 week or less, so I would be shure that I could use this solution for period of minimum 6 months?

If everithing what your application is capable of is working correct, I think I found solution that can do everything i need for my tracking purpose.

Cheers!

LeCoux

23:00
Thursday
15-Jul-2010

I will test with following options:

Main menu >Web
60 sec, send track ON, Set pts from start ON, auto adjust update interval OFF, Only send on new trackpoint ON, Enable Web on startup ON.

Main menu >Settings > Activity profile
Driving (modified)

Min track distance 100m
Min track time 30sec
New section time 300sec
Max track speed: Disabled
Unpause distance 100m

other as it is.

Test: I will clear all trackpoint first. Check if mobile has readings from GPS unit.
Then i will drive to coffe about 500m. (2 minutes) I will be there for at least 30min on a meeting. After that I will go to work about 5-6 km. Then I will look if I have this two activities recorded on the web with settings above and no touching the phone. (at least first 100 points should be there right?).

If you have something to add to be shure test will answer all of my worries now is the time to write them :-)

Cheers,

Stephen

9:23
Friday
16-Jul-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hope I'm not too late in replying! ;-)

Your test options look about right. One thing I would suggest is to upgrade to v0.7.5, just in case some minor differences between the two versions are contributing to the problems.

The full version doesn't have a limit on trackpoints, or at least they are only limited by memory (and how much they might slow down the track display, which will vary by phone model). There is also an option to impose an upper limit, eg 2000 points, which then automatically truncates the track each time the limit is reached.

However the 100-point limit should still allow the 'Only Send on New Trackpoint' function to work, at least until 100 points are reached.

How did the test go?

Cheers,
Stephen

LeCoux

19:23
Saturday
17-Jul-2010

Hy,

After 2 days all tests passed! Only fail was when I left device on battery and drained it untill it died. Funny thing is when it was dying gps reported trip of about 35km, and died -:) To be honest i didnt have patience to just leave it so I was tweaking it a little bit. Now I wli leave it 48 hours untouched on outer power to see what will happen, but I think allready that this is very stable peace of soft.

Cheers

LeCoux

6:05
Tuesday
7-Dec-2010

Hi Stephen,

Finaly, I can confirm that with SE K850, and Garmin BT10 GPS we have 96 hours unattended flawless operation in my vechile. It does the job sending only when I am moving. Every movemant during that time was recorded on web accurately. Congrats!

Cheers, Davor.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)