macpanda

15:44
Saturday
23-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson C905

Hi Stephen

I was just thinking - would there be much scope for putting some sort of "Run" button on the track maps page. If you click "keep map centered" and move the mouse along the graph then you can follow the track. It would be nice if there was a button that did this for you that respected the speed you were traveling too, though it would have to run at a faster-than-real speed.

Just a thought - don't know if anyone else would find this useful/interesting.

Paul

Stephen

16:41
Sunday
24-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Paul,

Yes, must admit I had intended to add something like this some time ago, haven't quite got round to it!

Now that I've finally released the latest version I'll see if I can add this. I suspect initially a real-time replay (or 10x speed, etc) might be a bit tricky - its more likely to work by jumping from one trackpoint to the next after a short delay (so the 'real-time' speed would vary), but I'd think this should give a reasonable effect anyhow!

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen

19:00
Monday
25-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Paul,

Have a look at the Map page now... I've added a Play button and a Speed button (5x 10x 20x, etc). Turned out that it was acutally pretty easy to animate the view in speeded-up real-time. All it does is jumps from one trackpoint to the next, and then waits a few milliseconds (relative to the time-gap between the current and next point) before jumping to the next point, etc. Seems to work surprisingly well!

I've only tested it briefly, seems to work okay on IE8 and FireFox, though it may be a bit jerky on older PCs, also I've found the CloudMade/OSM maps are much smoother than the Google and Microsoft ones...

Hope it helps!

Cheers,
Stephen

macpanda

21:56
Monday
25-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson C905

Hi Stephen

Perfect - that's just the very thing!

Tested in IE and Safari, both work fine. Firefox 3.5.7 (today's update) neither button does anything (the 100x button doesn't change the speed and Play> doesn't play)

Thanks for this - it's exactly what I was looking for :)

Paul

Stephen

20:12
Tuesday
26-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

In Firefox you may need to force a refresh of the page to load the new javascript code. Try Shift-Refresh or Ctrl-Refresh (can never remember which is which).

Seems to work fine here in 3.5.7 and 3.6 (just did a manual 'Check For Updates...' and it came up with this new version)

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

macpanda

20:19
Tuesday
26-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson C905

Yep - that did it! Thanks again

Paul

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)