Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Going to location/site maps - navigation

Subject:Going to location/site maps - navigation 

acrane

15:16
Saturday
16-Jan-2010

On a few occasions I have tried to "navigate" to a specific location, but there seems to be no easy to do this.

For instance, say you just want to see the street map of Miami, Florida. Entering Miami as the search criteria in Web gives you 3-4 hits, with different distances. There is no simple (if at all any) way of knowing which is which or telling the program to take you there to, say, set a waypoint somewhere over there. In this case, navigating there from abroad is simply not an option - there are no streets/roads to create a route.

I can "fly" there by zooming out, finding Florida and Miami, then zooming in, but it could be impractical/impossible in some cases.

To summarize: Would be nice to be able to search for a location and click "Take me there".

Alfonso

Stephen

17:00
Saturday
16-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Alfonso,

Try the * (Star) key on the Waypoints page. This switches to the Plan or Map screen (whichever one was used last) and centres it at that location.

I've made a couple of additions in the next version (hopefully ready in the next few days) that should make this easier, eg the Plan/Map context menu will have a 'Jump To Waypoint' option. I've also added a 'View on Plan' option to the Waypoints menu (which does the same as the * key).

Hope that'll help!

Cheers,
Stephen

acrane

17:13
Saturday
16-Jan-2010

Thanks! That worked.

I take it search criteria do not include countries/cities, right? In other words, the 4 "Miami" hits I get are all streets, not the city.

Just to see this, I searched for Haiti, no results.

Alfonso

Stephen

19:03
Saturday
16-Jan-2010

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

That's odd, both Haiti and Miami (the city) are returned when I tried it just now. The next release uses a new version of CloudMade's 'geocoding' functions, which gives a bit more address info in the Waypoint 'description' field. However, I tried it in the old version too and it still worked. (I got the 4 Miami results - Florida, plus other ones in Honduras, Oklahoma and Canada).

Make sure the Search Radius is set large enough in the Web/Find Place menu (or set it to Global). The search criteria *should* find streets, cities, countries and POIs, as long as they are mapped in OpenStreetMap. The new version can also take POI types, eg searching for 'Restaurants' with a 5km radius should find nearby restaurants, though this obviously depends on the completeness of the raw OpenStreetMap data...!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)