Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / battery conservation tip

Subject:battery conservation tip 

shchenka

6:33
Sunday
25-Oct-2009

Hi all,
I've noticed that since I started using the vector maps on a regular basis, my batteries drain so fast (and I have two spares).

I wonder if we could compile a list of tips to save the battery, which operations consume more energy than the others ?
Some obvious ideas seem to be:
* dim display (and turn it off when not used)
* use BT gps instead of builtin
* turn of radio if possible (but the BT)
* limit all communications, including vector maps
* limit the use of other apps at the same time

any ideas ?

Stephen

15:16
Sunday
25-Oct-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Shchenka,

I'd add:

* if using the vector maps then switch to the Plan screen [4] instead of the Nav screen [5] (and ensure that the Vector Options/Backbuffer is enabled)
* turn off the phones 3G/HSDPA mode (web access will be slower, but may help the battery somewhat)
* increase the Web/Transmit Interval if using the web functions.

Cheers,
Stephen

macpanda

9:19
Saturday
7-Nov-2009

Phone Model:
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson C905

Hi Shchenka

Whilst not really a battery conservation tip, I use a powermonkey (https://powertraveller.com/). With this, a SE C905 will run all day (that is, from 8 in the morning until about 5pm). I was following a route and using vector maps, so the web was being used quite a bit, and the display was lit regularly. Also was using the internal GPS on the phone. The powermonkey is one more thing to charge, but I found I could run the phone until it was flat, then charge it with the powermonkey (while still tracking) and then run it flat again. That way I didn't need to stop to change batteries.

Paul

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)