Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Backup and Restore

Subject:Backup and Restore 

ChrisM

9:59
Wednesday
16-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,
Just a couple of things I've noticed during my upgrade to v0.7

- I saved the settings to a back up, which was fine.
- I then downloaded the new version. First issue was that rather than overwriting the old version, as used to happen, it seemed to install allong side it, so that I had both versions in the applications menu on my phone (ie I could launch either 0.6.9 or 0.7.0
- I deleted the old version, which seemed to remove all my settings and revert the new version to an unregistered copy! But I guess that is more to do with the way the phone works, than with your application...
- The new version now seemed unable to connect to the internet, so I deleted it, re-downloaded, re-entered my device settings, and all seemed to be working.
- This is the main problem though - when I tried to re-install my backed up settings, though the restore seemed to work correctly, in my profiles, I now have two 'General' profiles, and no 'Walking' though I think the second 'General' is probably the 'Walking' one with the wrong name... So maybe the backup file routine has a small bug(?)

Hope this is not too confusing, but I'm trying to write this at work, making sure no-one notices, and while doing 3 other things, so no guarantees it makes sense!! :o)

Regards,

Chris.

Stephen

11:01
Wednesday
16-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

" First issue was that rather than overwriting the old version, as used to happen, it seemed to install allong side it, so that I had both versions in the applications menu on my phone "

Mmmm, bit surprised this has happened again (didn't you have the same issue with v0.6.9?). I had assumed that it happened previously because of the change in 'author details' in the JAD/JAR manifest file, though this hasn't changed from 0.6.9-0.7.0. I had the same issue on my W910 with the previous upgrade, but not since. Maybe now that you've effectively completely reinstalled TMJ from scratch it won't happen again...

" I now have two 'General' profiles "

I've had odd things like this happen myself in the past, though I *had* thought that I'd fixed it! Are you able to fix it by using the 'Reset Profile to Default' option for each of the profiles? (If this option is initially disabled, just change one of the parameters and it should then become enabled again)...

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

11:42
Wednesday
16-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

Thanks (yet again) for your amazingly rapid response...

Yes, I did have the same issue previously. One thing that has changed (apart from all your differences) is that I have started downloading directly to my phone (via the JAD file) rather than downloading the JAR to my PC, then transfering it to my phone via Bluetooth. I'm not really that bothered by this, though it is a minor pain having to re-register after deleting the duplicate installation, but I'm quite happy to wiat for the next version and see what happens then...

Resetting the profiles to defaults seemed to solve the problem.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous message... I couldn't get the registration code thing to work. I entered the Registration code from the Help...About screen onto the website. and it gave me a code. I entered this into the phone, but it told me it was not valid, and wouldn't accept it. (I hadn't at this point entered my user details (device code and password) onto the phone - thinking about it, maybe that was the problem, though it would be good if the phone told me that, rather than just saying the code was invalid(?)).
Using the automatic phone-via-the-web registration worked fine, but I HAD entered my 'security' details by then...

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

16:33
Wednesday
16-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Yes, without the TMJ Username and Device code the registration code wouldn't work. I'll add a warning message to this effect to the next version - thanks for noting this!

Cheers,
Stephen

shchenka

4:25
Saturday
19-Sep-2009

Just wanted to report that in my case the upgrade from 0.6.9 to 0.7.0 went smoothly, and 0.7.0 installed on top of the 0.6.9.
Unlike before, when 0.6.9 installed besides the existing 0.6.7 (which I thought was on purpose, considering the change in the licensing scheme).

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)