Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Using TMJ without a data plan? (Wifi + offline mod...

Subject:Using TMJ without a data plan? (Wifi + offline mode) 

santimon

21:23
Sunday
2-Aug-2009

Hi Stephen!

Amazing application you've got, really really appreciated that you make it available with superb quality.

I've looked through this forum and elsewhere and I can't seem to find information on what to many might be something very useful: is it possible to use TMJ-mobile without a dataplan using wifi (for those phones that support it)?

I'm using a BB9000 and have no dataplan (no WAP no APN) with my phone company. It seems to me TMJ ONLY attempts to make the connection through the celphone networks.

I've seen talk of using TMJ over wifi on other pots (mainly pertaining to downloading big files, or a route before heading in a direction where there is no coverage or too expensive).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

19:07
Monday
3-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Santimon,

Funny you should mention this, I recently looked into this on my BB8900. I hadn't used the WiFi much as I've found the phones browser is a bit unreliable with it so I tend to just stick with slow 2G (inclusive data-plan, fortunately!).

Anyhow, as far as TMJ is concerned, the current BlackBerry version won't work with WiFi but the next one should do (hopefully!). I've added an option into the Settings/Other Settings screen to specfify any extra BlackBerry settings (in addition to the current BlackBerry APN, Port, Authentication stuff). By entering 'interface=wifi' into this extra field it does now successfully force the 8900 to connect exclusively through wifi, and works even with the Mobile Network disabled. Hopefully it'll do the same on your BB Bold. (If you're constantly switching between WiFi and GPRS/3G then it'll be a bit fiddly to be honest, I'll maybe improve it for a future version)...

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)