Subject:download progam via PC 

phubb

13:20
Monday
13-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung Pixon

Hi. Just one quick question

Can the program be downloaded to a PC then copied over by USB to a mobile. I have a Sansung Pixon which allows jave programs to be loaded this way ?

Thanks

Stephen

14:26
Monday
13-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Yes, in principle this should work. Just login to the mobile page via the PC and download the JAD and JAR file for your phone (in fact most phones only need the JAR file, not sure about the Pixon though) then transfer it via USB...

Cheers,
Stephen

phubb

14:44
Monday
13-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung Pixon

Hi

Thanks for the very quick reply. I will try tonight.
Regards

Peter

ChrisM

16:27
Monday
13-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Certainly works for me. (SE W610i), I use Bluetooth, not USB to move the file from PC to phone though.

I download the JAR file only to my PC. Transfer it to the phone via Bluetooth, and the phone automatically initiates an install once the file has arrived.

(Be careful transferring the JAD file in this way. I did this once, and the phone seemed to start trying to download the JAR file across the internet - I'm not entirely sure what happened, or even if it was anything to do with transferring the JAD file, but seeing as it seems to work perfectly fine with just the JAR file, I haven't bothered transferring the JAD file since...

Good Luck

Chris.

Stephen

17:27
Monday
13-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Yes, good point. The JAD file actually points directly to the JAR file located on the TMJ website, so this may trigger the phone to grab it from there instead of using the JAR file located alongside it in the same folder (I think some phones may automatically look in the same folder first, though I haven't confirmed this).

Peter, if the Samsung refuses to install from the JAR file alone, then you can edit the JAD file in Notepad before transferring it to the phone (its a plain text file). Just edit the MIDlet-Jar-URL parameter to remove the web address, ie alter it to:

MIDlet-Jar-URL: tmj-mobile.jar
or possibly
MIDlet-Jar-URL: ./tmj-mobile.jar

(change the tmj-mobile bit to whichever TMJ version you have downloaded, eg tmj-mobilenokia.jar, etc)

Cheers,
Stephen

phubb

16:09
Tuesday
14-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung Pixon

Hi
Thanks again for the responses. All went well with the usb download. I used the generic version ( I think ! )

BUT - the GPS is nor being recognised. On the general page I get "Internal GPS error" . I have tried the various internal GPS settings and even tried the com port one. I found the setting in the about page on my mobile as com1 so put comm:com1 and not suprisingly that didn't work either.

I was really hopeful that I was at last going to get GPS mapping on my mobile as I had tried others without success. The Pixon's GPS does work as it geotags perfectly as long as you wait for a fix on the satellites.

If there is a fix them I am willing to try it.

On another point is it possible to turn off all data transfer so I don't use all my credit up experimenting.

Regards
Peter

Stephen

22:08
Tuesday
14-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Peter,

Oh dear, another phone whose internal GPS doesn't want to work! I'm sure there must be a simple reason why numerous phone models seem to have similar problems, but I've yet to find it. :-(

First thing, do you have any errors listed in the log (Menu/Settings/Debug/View Event Log)? Also, are all obvious settings in the phone set to allow full permissions for TMJ to access the GPS?

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen

22:13
Tuesday
14-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Forgot to say - TMJ will only use data if you specifically activate the Menu/Web/Enable Upload function. If you don't use this, then it won't cost anything...

Actually the Menu/Settings/Other Settings/Int GPS: Allow Costs may use a tiny bit of data too (for using the Assisted-GPS, but this is controlled by the phone), so untick this as well...

phubb

23:09
Tuesday
14-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung Pixon

Hi Stephen
Had a look at the event log. It has the following which repeats with the exception of the first line where the numbers change. I have checked the GPS settings and have internal GPS ticked. If I untick and restart I get a very different report. If that would be any help then I will post that as well. This is the log: 

233652.535Err:
java.lang.SecurityException:
Application not authorised to
access the restricted API @
LOCR2

233647.532Err:
ditto

233642.528Err etc etc etc

From reading up tonight on the Dark Forest forum website it seems that it may be down to having standard firmware rather than that from T-mobile may be an answer. That may explain why some people are getting for instance Mgmaps, Amazegps or WE-travel software to work. I am however nervous about flashing the phone as it may wreck it. Also some firmware removes the copy files by usb function.
I don't understand this authorisation - API stuff but that seems to be the problem from the above. Is there a way round it has to be the question. I really hope that you can get TMJ to work on the Pixon and would be happy to trial any fixes etc.
Regards

Peter

phubb

11:39
Wednesday
15-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung Pixon

Hello again Stephen

Just had a thought. If I install via usb the jad and jar files get placed on the mobile's memory card. Could that make any difference to the GPS problem.

Peter

Stephen

22:15
Wednesday
15-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Peter,

Not quite sure whats up here - the error message sounds like the phone is globally blocking access to the GPS, which is out of TMJs control. Most phones have some sort of Application Permissions where this would be listed (and ideally changed to 'Allowed'), but as you say, your firmware version may have this locked.

I'm not really familiar with Samsung phones so can't comment on the firmware update, but this is certainly not for the feint-hearted!

I've just noticed that the Samsung Developer website has now been revamped so I may be able to try the Pixon in their live test suite (which allows testing on an actual phone in their labs, via the web). Will have to look into this - got a lot happening currently with trying to get the next release finished, but will investigate in the coming weeks...

Cheers,
Stephen

phubb

8:04
Thursday
16-Jul-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung Pixon

Hi Stephen
Thanks again. I have just found a friend with a Pixon so I will get him to try TMJ to see if he has the same problems. I will let you know the result in a few days. In the meantime I am going to try a Bluetooth GPS to see if thats a way round it. As I think I mentioned I have read about other GPS software working on a Pixon that won't on mine so there has to be something different with my phone ( firmware, operator, PAYG v contract etc etc ).

Incidently when I run TMJ I do get the classic allow once/don't allow message just the once and thereafter everthing works fine apart from the GPS of course. So its not a program permission thing which apparently you can overide on some phones.

Good luck with getting the new release finished but would be very appreciative if you manage to get some progress in the Pixon camp!

Regards

Peter

phubb

11:41
Monday
3-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung Pixon

Hi Stephen
I have for the moment given up with the Pixon's internal GPS and brought a TOMTOM BT receiver and all works brilliantly. There are advantages as well. The battery on the phone will take less strain and I suspect the fix will be more accurate with the TOMTOM.
I'm sure all users will agree with me that TMJ is a brilliant program and I now need to get some maps downloaded to make full use of it.

Regards
Peter

Stephen

18:32
Monday
3-Aug-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Peter,

Glad to hear the BT GPS is working well. I definitely agree about the better accuracy and improved battery life with these. In fact although my BlackBerry does have an internal GPS, whenever I use it I'm always disappointed with the results and quickly revert back to my trusty bluetooth device!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)