Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Can't get live tracking to work

Subject:Can't get live tracking to work 

haklan

19:19
Wednesday
3-Jun-2009

Hi

I'm not sure I understand how the live tracking is supposed to work but this is how I do when going out for a bicycle ride and want them back home to see where I am.
At my PC I login at the TMJ site and go to the LIVE page, I see my home position marked with a red circle. I now turn on my Globalsat BF359S and the TMJ application at a SE K850i. I get a connection trough bluetooth and I get an internet connection and I select Web Enable upload. I tell my wife to look at the PC and take a ride at the bike. When I come home nothing have happened at the LIVE page but If I open the DEVICE page I have an auto-track with correct information uploaded there.
I guess I missed to do something but don't know what. Is there some sort of permission I must set? Hope someone can help me.

Regards
Hakan

Stephen

19:53
Wednesday
3-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Hakan,

The way you describe the Live page is correct - you don't need to set any permissions as long as you're logged in as yourself.

I've just checked the server logs and I can't see anything wrong there - I did wonder whether maybe your mobile reception might have dropped out during the ride, which would have caused the live location to freeze (the track would then upload once reception was regained), but the log shows that the site *was* successfully receiving a location update, so your phone isn't the problem. I'm therefore a bit stumped!

One thing I noticed is that the maps around your location are quite sparse, so it wouldn't necessarily be all that obvious if your location changed. You might do better by switching to the Google Satellite Maps to get a clearer view of your location, or untick the 'AUTOZOOM' button then zoom out to show a few more local roads.

Did your wife notice whether the 'Last Update' time was updating at all? This should give a better indication of whether your position was changing...

Cheers,
Stephen

haklan

20:29
Wednesday
3-Jun-2009

Hi Stephen

As you says I don't think the phone is the problem. I have connection all the time and I have tried this a couple of times now without success.
I don't know if the 'last update' time was updating, but if I go to the LIVE page now it is updating every 15 seconds and I believe it was before also.
Change to google maps would be nice, how do I do that?
I will do some more tests but it have to wait until tomorrow.

BR
Hakan

haklan

20:47
Wednesday
3-Jun-2009

Hi again

Found out myself how to change to google maps. The bottom of the page was outside the screen thats why I missed it.
At the bottom I also found another 'last update', I guess it was this one you was talking about. I will check tomorrow if this 'last update' is changing while I'm moving around

Hakan

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)