Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / I need a new GPS

Subject:I need a new GPS 

Alec

16:11
Wednesday
29-Apr-2009

My old one went several months ago, and i want a new one :)

DONT GET ANYTHING FROM BLUENEXT, THEY HAVE REALLY CRAPPY POWER BUTTONTS THAT BREAK.

i want to get back into it, ive tried soldering on a new switch, but there terminals are like tiny bronze pads - sucks

Anyway i am willing to spend £20, no more (i have this money, and my mum will buy it)

So do we have any first hand users that can post a link to a site where i can get it from?

please cover things like:
Battery life
Maxiumum number of satalights you have been connected too
Power switch (is it robust)
Status lights
Speed - to lock and to re-lock
and lastly LINKAGE
where can i get it.

Thanks guys
Alec

ChrisM

14:07
Thursday
30-Apr-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Alec
I got myself one of these:
http://www.qfonic.com/navicore-personal-20061-bluetooth-gps-receiver-software-p-2001.html
about a year ago. (I sold the software for a couple of quid on ebay)
It seems like a very good unit, (AIUI, it is a GlobatSat BT-338 in OEM Clothing) it is slightly more bulky than some, but very robust, and an excellent battery life (10+ hours IME).
It can be recharged by a standard(older-style - large jack plug) Nokia wall or car charger. The battery is removeable, and replacement batteries seem to be readily available. It will run from the charger if you are in the car. It has a charging/low battery light, a GPS signal light and a BlueTooth connection light. Switch seems fine. Not sure about the connection speeds, but seems to be fairly quick. A few seconds from 'warm' I suppose, and maybe up to a minute or so if you switch in on in a location that is different from the last one it was at.

Good luck.

Chris.

Stephen

9:22
Friday
1-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Alec,

I use a GlobalTop G66 'touch' GPS, was about GBP25 off ebay a few months back. Battery life is sufficient, not removable though (it lasts a good few hours - longer than my phone, which is the important thing). Its really thin (fits in the 'penny pouch' in my jeans, or whatever that otherwise pointless pocket is called). Has a 'touch' button instead of a switch - bit of a gimic, but at least theres nothing mechanical to break. Signal is generally excellent, and it gives 5 updates a second, which works well with the TMJ Menu/Display/High Frequency Screen Updates option...

Cheers,
Stephen

Alec

17:36
Sunday
7-Jun-2009

BUMP

on the tenth i finish my GCSE's i can now go as far as £40 please link and give a review (i liked the sound of yours Stephan)

KEY THING HERE IS LINK TO BUY IT!

I do not want to get another rubbish one again.

ChrisM

12:52
Monday
8-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

oooh the youth of today...! :)

Try typing 'GlobalTop G66 'touch' GPS' into Google...!

Regards,

Chris.

PS. I still recommend mine (further up this thread) a collegue at work just bought one last week, and he is well pleased with it too.

wayneh

15:46
Tuesday
9-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
BB 8230

I've used a bluetooth "puck" (no built-in display), from U.S. Globalsat, for several years now and have been very happy with it. Battery lasts at least all day (even in my aging unit), and it just works. If you hunt around, you can find one of these SirfstarIII chipset units for under $40 USD. That chipset is the same as the one in my daughter's new Garmin 60CSX that cost over $300. As far as I know, it's as good as any unit at the basic GPS functions of finding satellites, getting a quick lock and so on. I use a blackberry or a laptop to provide all the display and software support.

http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-214-bt-359c.aspx

anthonyy

19:30
Friday
19-Jun-2009

I have telenav with AT&t and I can't live without it, literally. I have had a Garmin nuvi 750 and TomTom GO 720, and Telenav literally has at least twice the POI. I remember those expensive map updates too, telenav has FREE map, poi, voice, etc updates. I first saw TeleNav mentioned in the New York Times and then I went to their website: www.telenav.com $10/month is a great deal, especially considering it offers more features than a $600 standalone unit.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)