Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Using more than one GPS based program at once.

Subject:Using more than one GPS based program at once. 

ChrisM

13:07
Tuesday
17-Mar-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,

As well as TMJ, I also have a Java based SatNav(turn by turn directions) application on my phone. Sometimes it would be nice to use the SatNav, but have TJM also running, recording the route, or transmitting my current position etc., but it doesn't seem to be possible for both apps to access the GPS device at the same time...
Stephen, or anyone, do you know if there's a way of doing this?
(I have a SE W610i phone).

Regards,

Chris.

Stephen

15:07
Tuesday
17-Mar-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

No, as you've found its not possible (as far as I know) for two separate Java apps to access the same bluetooth device at the same time. Having said that, for phones that use the JSR 179 Location API (eg BlackBerrys or phones with built-in GPS, but not the W610) it should be possible in theory, since in this case its the phone that 'talks' to the GPS (either internal or bluetooth) and then gives this location to each Java app in turn, however I've not actually tried this myself!

(Incidentally, the next version of TMJ, due very soon, will have basic auto-routing...!)

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

18:01
Tuesday
17-Mar-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

I vaguely recall reading about some little application/driver that sits in the phone, and talks to the GPS device. The phone applications then talk to this little process, rather than the actual GPS device...
I think it was probably a smartphone thing, rather than a 'simple' Java phone though I can find nothing about it now, or maybe I dreamt it!!

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about, please let me know!! :)

Chris.

PS. Routing on TMJ!! Sounds cool, looking forward to that!
Is the route calculation done client side or server side?

Stephen

11:42
Wednesday
18-Mar-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yeah, I think you're thinking of a port-sharing program for Windows Mobile...

The routing is done via the web using CloudMade's routing APIs, based on OSM data. Its nearly ready...!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)