Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Map Merger (via Map Organiser)

Subject:Map Merger (via Map Organiser) 

jyates

22:09
Monday
16-Feb-2009

Just a minor thing...

I have been having issues getting Map Merger to merge 6 maps (around 10 or 12megs each)... after the 4th map, when I go to import the next TMJ, the file selection dialog comes up, I browse to the file and click open, the file selection dialog disappears but the TMJ is not imported... it just continues to show the last TMJ that was imported.

I tried all sorts of things, like opening the maps in different orders, merging them 2 at a time etc... and nothing worked.

Then I had one of those 'hey! who put that .cmd file there labelled "4. Start Map Merger (1GB Mode)"?!!?!?'-type moments ;)...

And surprise... run it directly and I can merge all 6 TMJs without any issues... so I suspect it is a resource issue of some description when you run the merger via the organiser... as opposed to running it directly.

Stephen

22:20
Monday
16-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yes, good point - when starting the Map Merger from within the MapOrganiser it reverts back to the default memory settings so, as you found, the 1GB shortcut might sometimes need to be used instead.

Cheers!

jyates

22:43
Monday
16-Feb-2009

I'm slowly working it all out :)

Much like I "discovered" the 'Convert from Mercator Projection' option within Map Organiser... I had been having issues with latitude location being off and it had been driving me nuts for about a week...

I had:

- scanned my maps (Yay for colour scanning photocopiers at work that scan A3 size!)...

- stitched them together with photomerge in photoshop (Ugh! what a mission if your scans are slightly out of alignment with each other because they weren't square on the scanner)...

- aligned them with the world using MapCruncher to pushpin the latitude/longitude cross points and a custom perl script that would edit the mashup file to set the latitudes and longitudes of the pushpins... as I soon discovered doing it by hand was boring and tedious

- Rendered out the QuadKey tiles from MapCruncher...

- Copied/Renamed the quadykey tiles using a custom perl script to "Y_X_zoom.jpg"

- Used IrfanView to stitch the X_Y tiles into horizontal strips and then stitched the strips into a single image... (Yay for IrfanView support commandline options and Ultraedit for allowing you to use macros to create them!)

- Then another custom perl script to convert the X, Y co-ords and zoom level back into the Top Left and Bottom Right co-ords...

Which meant I could finally use Map Organiser to generate my TMJ's... PHEW!!

And then after all that, I was consistently out by around 0.5 to 1nm in latitude!!! aaaarrggghh!

I was sure it was my maps, because if exported the track, it would show up fine on GoogleEarth... but I was always slightly south on the maps displayed on the phone...

I tried fiddling the top/bottom latitudes to fool MapOrganiser, but that was just clumsy and made things even worse...

Then I saw the Convert Mercator option and out of desperation tried it...

I am going to sleep well tonight ;)

Stephen

0:39
Wednesday
18-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Wow!

Its surprising/pleasing how much a (relatively) few lines of code can help (ie, converting from mercator to rectangular) - glad to hear you finally got it all lining up!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)