Subject:Permissions for Viewing Live Data 

yano

15:46
Friday
6-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Hi!

I've set the "Permissions for Viewing Live Data" to public=yes, assuming that it should mean that everybody can see my live location when my TMJ-mobile is runnig and upload setting enabled.

Now the question(s): where/how can everybody see it?? Which URL should he enter in his browser? Does he need to be a TMJ registered user or does public really mean everybody who knows which URL to call?

Thanks again for your support!

Cheers,
yano

Stephen

19:59
Friday
6-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Yano,

I'm afraid you've hit upon another 'yet-to-finish' bit of the site. Currently the 'Public' column of the Permissions page has no effect - your live location is only accessible via your own account, linked friends' accounts, Invitations or Livelinks.

As noted in the parallel thread with Chris, I'm currently working on implementing the 'public' option on tracks, but may then extend this to include public live locations in some way. Overall though, I suspect that most people would keep this option disabled (ie they wouldn't want to publically publish their exact current location), hence why I've not done much work on this in the past...

Cheers,
Stephen

yano

10:26
Saturday
7-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

Stephen,

thanks for your explanations.

" I suspect that most people would keep this option disabled (ie they wouldn't want to publically publish their exact current location) "

Although I share your suspect, I have a concrete example where this function might be useful: I'm gonna go on a snowhike and I would like to give my friends staying at home the possibility to see where I am without the need for them to be TMJ registered users, but just "observers"; my idea was to provide them with an "ad hoc" temporary public URL like http://www.trackmyjourney.co.uk/yano_device and when my hike is over, set the public flag back to "no".

Cheers,
yano

yano

10:37
Saturday
7-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
SE K610i

" Send an Invitation

Information

If you would like to invite others to view your location or tracks, please fill out this form to send them an Invitation. The email that they receive will contain a link to a customised TrackMyJourney page displaying your data (the precise data viewable will depend on which Permissions Group you assign to the invitation). This allows for a number of people to easily view your data without them having to register for a TrackMyJourney account.
Some possible uses include:

You may be going away on holiday, perhaps just for a short break, or a 'round-the-world' trip. Let your family and friends see the exciting places you are visiting!

You are about to set out on a long drive to visit a friend. Let them track your progress so they know when you are likely to arrive.
"

I should finally learn to read the online manual before posting dummy questions ... ;)

Cheers,
yano

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)