Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / 'Friends' Screen.

Subject:'Friends' Screen. 

ChrisM

17:16
Tuesday
3-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,
Anyone else having problems with the 'Friends' screen? You know, the one where you set access to your folders etc. to your 'Friends' groups?
Won't work for me in either Firefox/Mozilla or IE7... (both under Windows Vista)

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

19:17
Tuesday
3-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Is it the My Account/SETTINGS/Friends page that is giving the problem? I can't see anything obvious wrong with it from here (using WinXP, and have also just tried it in the Windows 7 preview, similar to Vista) - what is it that doesn't seem to be working at your end?

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

12:20
Wednesday
4-Feb-2009

Phone Model:

Ahh,
It was just me being stupid...
I was looking at the 'Friends' screen directly from the main menu (Shared Folders) when I meant to be looking the the Settings->Permissions screen!!
Duurrr!
Sorry! :o/

Chris.

(By the way, what IS supposed to happen in the 'My Account->Friends' screen? I just see a blank page.)

Stephen

20:08
Wednesday
4-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

No worries!

The FRIENDS page is used to show any folders that friends have assigned you permission to view. To do this they need to add you to a group in their own Settings/Friends page and then in the Settings/Permissions page assign that group access to view a particular folder.

I suspect that the whole procedure is perhaps a bit complicated (and not very well documented), so I'm not sure that this is used all that much. I'm thinking about adding a 'Make Public' option to individual tracks as an easy way to share these with others, which should be a lot simpler!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

15:35
Friday
6-Feb-2009

Phone Model:

Stephen,

I actually quite like the way the Friends/Invitations system works, though the system is more complex than I need. In fact, having the ability to make specific tracks (or maybe specific folders...??) public would probably work. The existing system seems to be a little more secure, but then again, who is going to be interested in where I went walking last Sunday afternoon...?
Maybe you could make them public, but with an (optional) PIN code or something, so that you could send the URL and PIN to anyone you wanted to share them with...??? That way, you could have some control over who could see which parts of your 'public' folders(???)

For the record, I only use this part of the system to 'send' tracks to friends that have been on the walk with me. Dispite a fairly strenous 'plugging' campaign, none of my friends use TMJ, but then that's probably because I'm the only one that's enough of a gadget-fiend to posess a SatNav capable phone setup... :o/
It's a shame, because I'd love to be able to use the 'find a friend' function!

Chris.

Stephen

19:35
Friday
6-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

I've been thinking about various track sharing possibilities. My plan at the moment is to add a specific 'Make Public' option to each track, which would then provide a unique URL to link straight to that track, so this would be easy to send to friends. A second option 'Include in Track Library' or similar, would also list the track in a publically-viewable and searchable webpage on the site.

The permissions page already has an option to make a complete folder public, as you suggest, though this currently has no effect, but will do once I've set up the unique URL system and track library, etc. I think for the moment the PIN idea is perhaps a bit fiddly, but it is something I've thought about in the past. (In fact the 'Invitations' page does currently have a hidden/disabled option to password protect the invite, but again I figured it was becoming a bit over-complex just to share a recent walk/cycle, etc)!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)