Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Vector Maps PtII

Subject:Vector Maps PtII 

ChrisM

11:51
Thursday
18-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi,

Drove home last night with the new vector maps turned on, in the 3D view. Looks really cool! The only time it went a bit odd was when I stopped at junctions, and the map started spinning round as random effects affected the GPS location, but I guess that there is not much that can be done about this, or now that there is some awareness of where you are in relation to the map, maybe there is...(????)
Despite me not pre-loading the required tiles, it almost managed to keep up with my driving. The road vanished a couple of times when I drove into a section where the tile had not been downloaded in time, but I'd say for 80%+ of the journey, the map was showing correctly. If used in conjunction with a pre-loaded route, this is now almost as useful for driving as a full turn-by-turn SatNav system!!
On that subject, with vector maps, and the fact TMJ now has a concept of where on the map you actually are, have you got any plans to enhance the route-planning side of things? Also, does TMJ have enough awareness of its location on the map that you could do things like display the name of the road on the screen and such stuff?
Finally, the only downside(for me) that I can think of so far is the cost. My 14 mile/30 minute drive home with the map displaying at (I think) zoom level 8 cost about 50p so I can see a longish journey easily costing a few quid. Not too bad for the occasional trip I suppose, but probably expensive enough to stop me using it on a very regular basis... which is a shame. Still, with the price of mobile data getting ever cheaper, maybe it won't be a problem for long...
(Thinking about it, 50p means about 2.5Mb of data at my charges. Does that sound about right?)

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

18:37
Thursday
18-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris

" the map started spinning round as random effects affected the GPS location, but I guess that there is not much that can be done about this, or now that there is some awareness of where you are in relation to the map, maybe there is...(????) "

There are a few ideas that I'm planning to look into at some point to try to use the map to help the GPS guess where it must be, though I'm not sure whether it'll improve the spinning around when stationary. You might find that placing the GPS itself on the dashboard (if you've not tried this already) might just give it a slightly better signal to prevent the spinning (the rotation stops if the speed is measured to be <1mph).

" does TMJ have enough awareness of its location on the map that you could do things like display the name of the road on the screen "

This is also something I'm planning to look into - its not too difficult but will put more strain on the phone as it'll have to constantly be searching each street to find which one is nearest. This is why the Plan page currently uses markers to locate each street name, rather than just being able to scroll over the street at any point (since the maths is a lot slower to check proximity between a point and a line, rather than just between two points).

" have you got any plans to enhance the route-planning side of things "

Since the phone only has 4 tiles in memory at a time this doesn't really help much with routing, though I am looking into implementing this using a server-side routing engine. Won't be for a while yet though...

" Finally, the only downside(for me) that I can think of so far is the cost "

Yes, I appreciate that the mobile internet costs are an issue if you don't have any inclusive data. If you're doing the same drive every day, see if the maps appear without enabling upload - theres a good chance that they'll now all be in the cache so won't need to be downloaded again for a while.

20p/MB actually sounds pretty reasonable - Vodafone charge £2/MB, but with a maximum daily charge of £1 (or else a monthly £7.50 flat rate for 'unlimited' internet, which I use). I'm surprised though that your 30 minute drive cost 50p - a zoom 8 tile is on average about 16kB and covers 15 square kms, so 2.5Mb of these tiles should cover a pretty massive area!!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

9:48
Friday
19-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

" You might find that placing the GPS itself on the dashboard... "

Yea, it already is...

" Since the phone only has 4 tiles in memory at a time this doesn't really help much with routing, though I am looking into implementing this using a server-side routing engine. Won't be for a while yet though... "

I was thinking of a server-side thing I must admit. I have another piece of software that I occasionally use which provides turn-by-turn navigation, and that does all the route planning server-side then transmits the route to the phone, which does the actual displayng of the turns required...

" I'm surprised though that your 30 minute drive cost 50p - a zoom 8 tile is on average about 16kB and covers 15 square kms, so 2.5Mb of these tiles should cover a pretty massive area!! "

Well, when I said zoom 8, I was going by the little number that appears above the 'download squares' Is that right? Actually, looking now, it may have been Zoom9, not Zoom8 if that makes much difference...?
When you say 15 square km, do you mean a square 15km on a side, or a square 3.87km on a side (sqrt(15))? Going by the amount of time the phone seemed to be downloading stuff(coloured squares on the screen), I'd guess the latter??

I was viewing the map in 3D mode with quite a tilt, does that mean more tiles need to be downloaded to show more distant map items?

I will try to do a bit more experimenting with this, and try to get a clearer picture of what is going on... is there anywhere in the debugging screens, or anywhere else where I can see what has actually been downloaded??

Cheers,
Chris.

Stephen

13:59
Friday
19-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

" Well, when I said zoom 8, I was going by the little number that appears above the 'download squares' Is that right? "

Yep, thats it.

" Actually, looking now, it may have been Zoom9, not Zoom8 if that makes much difference...? "

Yes it could do - a zoom 9 square is 9x smaller than a zoom 8 square (3x in each direction) so more would need to be downloaded, though zoom 9 squares are generally smaller in filesize as well, which would help slightly.

" When you say 15 square km, do you mean a square 15km on a side, or a square 3.87km on a side (sqrt(15))? Going by the amount of time the phone seemed to be downloading stuff(coloured squares on the screen), I'd guess the latter?? "

Yes, 3.87ish km on a side... Its always a bit confusing when talking about area like this - should it be 15 square kilometres or 15 kilometres square!!

" I was viewing the map in 3D mode with quite a tilt, does that mean more tiles need to be downloaded to show more distant map items? "

No - it always loads/displays only the 4 tiles nearest to the centre of the display, irrespective of tilt/rotation. This does sometimes leave the 3D views with a fair amount of blank space, but zooming in slightly (staying within the same zoom level though) can improve this.

" I will try to do a bit more experimenting with this, and try to get a clearer picture of what is going on... is there anywhere in the debugging screens, or anywhere else where I can see what has actually been downloaded?? "

No, theres not actually much that it logs to do with this, but I think I'll add something to improve this (maybe just a couple of lines in the Map Status readout showing 'Total Tiles Used In Session', 'Tiles Downloaded', 'Tiles Loaded from Cache', etc).

One thing you could monitor is the Bytes Sent/Recevied on the Text/GENERAL page, which does include the tile data download amounts. Might be worth checking your credit before running TMJ, monitor the Bytes Received figure, then check your credit after exiting the program. Also, assuming your Sony Ericsson is similar to mine, check the Settings/Calls/Time And Cost/Data Counters, to see how many *actual* bytes TMJ used in the previous session (the TMJ counters don't include the HTTP headers, etc, which do add slightly to the total).

Cheers,
Stephen

markpenders

22:19
Thursday
25-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Stephen,

Totally cool! Like Chris I first downloaded the wrong version. I had some problem installing the right version on my BB8707 (the first time a Java exception occurred), but that's probably to do with the phone rather than with the software.

I'm not that familiar with the information that TMJ obtains from OSM, but if it tagged and all, than that would indeed open up a world of possibilities. Regarding the navigation: does google maps offer a way to obtain instructions for free?

As you say: on older phones the behaviour is a bit sluggish, and I can confirm this for my BB. However: since the boss pays, it is no problem for me trying a few things.

Cheers,

Mark.

Stephen

11:44
Saturday
27-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

" Totally cool! Like Chris I first downloaded the wrong version. I had some problem installing the right version on my BB8707 (the first time a Java exception occurred), but that's probably to do with the phone rather than with the software .... As you say: on older phones the behaviour is a bit sluggish, and I can confirm this for my BB "

Glad you like it! I've had similar odd error messages on other BlackBerrys when installing TMJ, which seems to be mostly helped by restarting the phone prior to the installation, so I'm not sure if its a problem specific to TMJ. Its a shame that it doesn't run so well on old phones - if you're ever tempted to upgrade to the BlackBerry Bold 9000, this runs fine!

" Regarding the navigation: does google maps offer a way to obtain instructions for free? "

As ever, the Google T+C are too prohibitive to allow their use for real-time navigation, so this is a no-go I'm afraid. OSM-based routing is really the only option here, though its accuracy will be dependent on the completeness of the OSM data. You should be fine though since the Netherlands has almost complete OSM coverage!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)