Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Vector Maps.

Subject:Vector Maps. 

ChrisM

12:45
Wednesday
17-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

I don't seem to have the 'Download Maps' menu option in my WebLink options screen...
(I've downloaded the SE JP5/6 version of the software, and can confirm that I'm running 0.6.6). Do I need to do anything to enable this option? I have 'Enable Upload' switched on.

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

13:04
Wednesday
17-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Did you definitely download the vector maps version, and not the normal one (you need to scroll right to the bottom of the download page for the new version, theres a separate set of links there). I should probably make the two versions a bit more obvious on the download page...!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

14:13
Wednesday
17-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Doh!

'And the dumbass award 2008 goes to... oh, me!'
Sorry Stephen, should have read the page properly. It does direct me to the right place, I'm just used to selecting the top thing, and didn't even bother to read what it said...
Now that I've downloaded the correct version, it seems to be working fine, and looking good!!
However, it cost me 10p for just a 3 minute play, even with my new cheaper datarate, not much I know, but I think it's going to add up a bit, and work out a little too expensive to really make good use of the new maps on a regular basis, which is a shame as they look really cool, especially the 3D view. I guess what I'll do is to carry on using the bitmapped maps when I know in advance where I'm going to be, and save the vector stuff for when I don't have a bitmapped map available... that said, I'm going to treat myself to a quid or two for a bit more playing around with it. I'll switch it on for my drive home, and see how it works... maybe it'll turn out to be cheaper than I think.

Question on the way the dowloading of tiles works;
If I have 'Upload Position' turned on, but set to say every 5 minutes. If I get close to the edge of the tiles that have already been downloaded, will the phone request the next 'set' of tiles from the server as soon as it needs to display them, or wait until the next time the position is uploaded?
If it does it as soon as the tiles are required, rather than waiting, does TMJ take advantage of the fact that it has to open a data connection to quickly squirt the current location back to the server??

Finally, noticed a small typo on the website;
In the 'How To Use It' section of the vector maps pages, the 2nd paragraph (after the first two screen shots) reads;
'The Vector Maps can be displayed on the Plan, Route, Visualisation and ROUTE pages...

Too many 'routes'?? :o)

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

16:21
Wednesday
17-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

" If I get close to the edge of the tiles that have already been downloaded, will the phone request the next 'set' of tiles from the server as soon as it needs to display them, or wait until the next time the position is uploaded? If it does it as soon as the tiles are required, rather than waiting, does TMJ take advantage of the fact that it has to open a data connection to quickly squirt the current location back to the server?? "

The Tile downloading and Location Uploading take place completely separately (the only link is that Enable Upload has to be on for both to work) - the tiles are grabbed as they are needed, so if you manually scroll around the Plan page it'll keep requesting tiles. (It only downloads 4 at any one time though so if you scroll too quickly it may take a little while to catch up). You can also use this scrolling to pre-load the maps so that they are already available on the phone. So for instance you could scroll along your route home before leaving the office to preload the tiles, so then not need to Enable Upload at all on the drive (and with some phones that have Wifi or USB-internet connections this can be used to grab the tiles in advance without using the phones GPRS/3G connection at all).

One thing to note with the map caching is that if you also have Raster Map Cache enabled in settings, both maps use the same cache, so scrolling around the Map page may then remove old vector tiles from the cache as well.

" Finally, noticed a small typo on the website... "
Got it, thanks!

Cheers,
Stephen

shchenka

11:10
Thursday
8-Jan-2009

Hey, I've just downloaded the vector maps version. It's so cool !!! Thanks a lot. :)

Maverick1

2:51
Thursday
22-Jan-2009

Wow! Vector Maps working really well for me. Thanks Heaps!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)