Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / BB 8800 live update problem

Subject:BB 8800 live update problem 

darnesen

18:35
Saturday
6-Dec-2008

Hi,
I've just installed TMJ on a BlackBerry 8800 and it seems to work fine except that I can't get the live view to work - the device doesn't seem to be connecting to the website, although the connection is enabled on the phone and i've entered my user/pass.

When I check the event log I can see a number of errors all similar to this:

102654.780Err: java.io.IOException: Open tunnel - failure @ W;

I've checked all my settings and think the phone is set up to connect ok - it certainly seems to be using GPRS when running TMJ.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

Stephen

10:12
Sunday
7-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Dave,

With some phone providers you may have to enter the BlackBerry APN settings at the bottom of the TMJ SETTINGS/Other Settings page. The exact settings will depend on your provider - do a google search for 'Blackberry APN settings' to find a list of APNs, eg this page (scroll down to the Other Carriers section). Note that you need to enter at least the APN name, IP and Port - the APN username and password are optional.

(Probably also worth doing a full phone reboot - on the 8800 you'll need to remove the battery to do this)

Any luck?

Cheers,
Stephen

darnesen

17:57
Tuesday
9-Dec-2008

Stephen,
Thanks for the reply, I got the APN settings from the network and have entered them ok but the 8800 still won't register with the site.

The event log has dropped the tunnel errors and now displays:

175250.748Err:
net.rim.device.cldc.io.waphttp.WAPIOException @ W;
ISO8859_1;
175146.680Err:
java.lang.NullPointerException @ OLW;

I'm pretty sure that the APN settings are correct because I installed another program (Trimble Outdoors) which required them and that is working fine now.

Hope you can help out!

Cheers

Dave

Stephen

20:16
Tuesday
9-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Dave,

Must admit I'm a bit stumped. I suspect its still something specific with the APN settings... a couple of further things to try (bit of a stab in the dark though):
- did the APN settings that you found have a username/password? If so, try removing these (just leaving the APN, IP and Port).
- try setting them globally in the phone options (Options->Advanced Settings->TCP) and remove them from TMJ.

(Reboot the phone fully after each test).

Cheers,
Stephen

darnesen

10:41
Wednesday
10-Dec-2008

Hi Stephen,
Your stab in the dark was well placed!

The solution for an o2 blackberry 8800 appears to be to set the APN globally in the phone settings as you suggested and not in TMJ.

For the record, the settings o2 gave me are:

APN: wap.o2.co.uk
User: o2wap
Pwd: password

Many thanks

Dave

Stephen

13:05
Wednesday
10-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Glad to hear its worked!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)