Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Map organiser: max input file size

Subject:Map organiser: max input file size 

wicher

23:05
Sunday
30-Nov-2008

Hi,

I've just tried to load 150 Mb .jpg map to the map organiser and it seems to be impossible: nothing happens after pressing the "OK" button in the file browser. Is there an file size limit in the map organiser? If so, is it an option to remove it?

P.S. Great application!!!

Stephen

14:26
Monday
1-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Wicher,

Theres no fixed file size limitation in the Map Organiser, but it does have to store the entire image uncompressed in memory, so it depends on your computer specs as to the limit. The first thing to try is to run the JAR file using the Start Map Organiser (1GB) shortcut. This allocates 1GB of memory to the Java runtime. You can also edit the shortcut and increase the limit, eg, to up it to 2GB (if your computer has enough memory):
java -Xmx2048m -jar TMJ-MapOrganiser.jar

What is the pixel size of your JPEG image? 150MB does sound VERY large for a JPEG. For example to handle a 400megapixel image (20000x20000 pixels) would require a minumum of 1.2GB (20000*20000*3 bytes). Any bigger than this and the memory requirements can get pretty heavy!

If the image is a map (rather than a photo/aerial map), then converting it to a PNG file could greatly reduce the filesize. Also, ensure that the PNG is in 8-bit indexed palette format rather than 24-bit (this will reduce the uncompressed size by 66% in one go)...

Any luck?

Regards,
Stephen

ChrisM

15:41
Monday
1-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Just a side note regards the 1Gb version of MapOrganiser...
When I first started uing TMJ (quite some months ago now) I vaguely remember there being an error in the shortcut of the 1Gb version, and having to edit it to make it correct (ie 1024)...
Not 100% if it was the MapOrganiser 1Gb or the OS Convertor 1Gb, but it was definitely in the 1Gb shortcut of one of them...

I can't remember if I ever mentioned it, and haven't downloaded the shortcut since so don't know if it has been fixed, but it might be worth double checking...

Chris.

PS. Stephen, apologies if I didn't ever mention it, and it's still wrong...

wicher

18:53
Monday
1-Dec-2008

Stephen an Chris,

thanks for the immediate response! Increasing the JRE heap size was an obvious solution, my only (poor) excuse for not figuring it out myself is that there was no message informing about the heap problem...Well, thanks to your help, now it all works like a charm!
The jpg truly is huge. It's a photo of my city (zoom level 17), 15104x13056p, 24 bit depth. After converting it to .tmj file, it takes only 77.3 Mb, with all possible zoom levels and forcing 8-bit colour depth.
Chris: the error you mentioned is probably in the MapMerger, the MapOrganizer works fine for me.

Once again, thanks for help!

wicher

Stephen

13:55
Tuesday
2-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

No problem - glad it helped!

Chris, I've found an old version of the MapMerger which grabbed 1584MB (1.5GB) instead of the stated 1GB, that might be what caused the previous problem. Fixed now anyhow!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

16:41
Tuesday
2-Dec-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hmm, maybe, but I've never really used MapMerger, so I wouldn't have thought so. I would imagine it was either MapOrganiser or OSConverter... or maybe I'm just getting confused!!
Anyway, whatever it was, it's obviously all sorted out now, so no worries... :-)

Cheers,

Chris.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)