Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / SE C905 "Internal GPS Error"

Subject:SE C905 "Internal GPS Error" 

warmfusion

1:18
Saturday
29-Nov-2008

Hi,

Ive sucessfully installed the Jar/Jad application, configured it according to the documentation, selected "Connect internal GPS" but the status page shows "Internal GPS Error".

Checking the event log indicates a HUGE number of SecurityExceptions along the lines of:

xxxxxx.xxxErr: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;

Ending with a GPS6 Unavaliable - trying next...;

ISO-8859-1;
Wpts:0;

I'm guessing the ordering is most recent is Top of the list therefore I'm suspecting that there is a permissions issues with java talking to the GPS device.

Is there any way i can get this working as I'd really like to try this software out, but without a GPS conection its a bit tricky :)

Cheers,

Toby

nakr

16:08
Saturday
29-Nov-2008

Have the same error too. After Starting Application:
1) Internal GPS active
2) Internal GPS timeout after a few seconds
3) Internal GPS signal invalid afterwards.
does not matter if inside or outside, other GPS applications like Google Maps are working properly. downloaded the jp8+gps verion 0.6.4

170359.789err: javax.microedition.location.LocationException: Location timeoutm@ LOCR1:
GPS7 Unavailable - trying next...
GPS6 Unavailable - trying next...
GPS5 Unavailable - trying next...
GPS4 Unavailable - trying next...

Regards, andre

nakr

17:20
Saturday
29-Nov-2008

as seen in another topic for c702, a guy had a simmilar problem. So i removed the battery from the phone, waitet some minutes and started the phone again... what wonder, now TMJ works without problems (mmmnnnnyes, i don't know why put the phone means i am 20 meters higher than ground ;-)

but i never had those security related errors. On "Ortsbezogene Dienste" -> "Sicherheit", i allowed all external applications to use GPS. Perhaps this solves your problem. sorry, i don't know how these items are called on an english language phone :-(

Stephen

16:54
Sunday
30-Nov-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Andre, glad it finally worked after rebooting - its seems that there are a few issues with GPS-enabled Sony Ericsson phones, this'll hopefully improve with firmware updates from SE.

Toby, as Andre suggests, check in the SE Applications menu that Options/Permissions/Location Services/Security is set to allow TMJ full access to the GPS.

Also, try the Menu/Settings/Other Settings/Int GPS: Basic Connection and Allow Cost options (restart TMJ after changing these)...

Regards,
Stephen

RomaRauc

14:29
Sunday
1-Feb-2009

Hi there,

I still get the "Internal GPS Error" on my SE C905 (v0.6.6)!

I tried restarting my phone, setting the permissons ...

Does anyone have another solution for my problem ?

Thanks,
Roman

Stephen

18:54
Sunday
1-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Roman,

Do you get any errors listed in the Event Log (Menu/Settings/Debug Options/View Event Log)?

Cheers,
Stephen

RomaRauc

20:12
Sunday
8-Feb-2009

Sorry, having little time recently ...

Yes there are many errors in the event-log:

211315.323Err: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;
211310.241Err: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;
211305.237Err: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;
211303.235Err: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;
211256.335Err: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;
211251.333Err: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;
211246.329Err: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;
211241.325Err: java.lang.SecurityException @ LOCR2;

Thanks for your help

Stephen

18:03
Monday
9-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Roman,

I had a very brief chance to try a friend's C905 today but wasn't able to recreate this error - seems like the C905 is a bit temperamental! The SecurityException error generally occurs when the phone blocks a Java program from using one of its services (GPS in this case). Could you just verify the following:

- Menu/Settings/Other Settings/Int.GPS Basic Connection: TICKED
- Menu/Settings/Other Settings/Int.GPS Allow Costs: TICKED (might also be worth try this unticked - restart after changing)

- In the phones builtin Location Services menu (Main Menu, 3rd item down on the left, assuming yours is set out the same as my friends phone), check that the GPS is enabled. Also, there was some option about 'Allow External Services' or similar. Not sure if this refers to Java, but check that this is Allowed, just in case. If there is also an Assisted GPS menu, ensure that this is enabled (especially if Allow Costs is ticked above).

- In the TMJ-Mobile Permissions menu (Phones Application Menu/TMJ-Mobile/Options/Permissions) check that as many items as possible are set to Always Allow, or at least Ask First Time. (I didn't check this today, but if there is a Locations Permissions option or similar, definitely make sure this is allowed).

- Try fully restarting the phone, including briefly removing the battery.

Incidentally I'm considering upgrading my W910 to a C905, which might help me to troubleshoot these problems a bit better, but so far it seems more likely to be a Sony Ericsson firmware issue, rather than a bug in TMJ-Mobile itself... Quite annoying either way!

Cheers,
Stephen

RomaRauc

11:10
Friday
13-Feb-2009

Hi Stephen,

I have tried all these things, including resetting the phone -> same errors. By the way, the menu-stucture is quite different on my C905:

-Menu/Settings
--General
--Sounds & alerts
--Display
--Calls
--Connectivity

-Menu/Location Services
--Google Maps
--Navigation
--My favourites
--Status info
--Log
--Settings
---Units
---Privacy
---Enable/Disable GPS
---Assisted start

The GPS settings are located in the menu "Location Services".

Other programs like posit.me or we-travel are functioning with the internal GPS.

Thanks a lot,
Roman

Stephen

16:41
Friday
13-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Just to clarify, I meant the Int.GPS Basic Connection and Int.GPS Allow Costs options in the TMJ-Mobile menus (rather than the phones own Menu/Settings stuff) - was this where you had set it?

I must admit I'm rather stumped - I don't see why if it works on plenty of other C905s that it shouldn't work on yours also, and especially if other programs work on it fine!?

smsm1

14:44
Monday
16-Feb-2009

Phone Model:
Fairphone 4

Roman, I think that you are missing the menu system that TMJ uses. There is a left and right soft key that bring up separate menus within TMJ.

pt6615

6:37
Sunday
7-Jun-2009

Hi, same here: C905 Internal GPS Error. Strange thing is that I have tried out about a dozen java based gps softwares and half of them work the other half don't. That could only mean one thing: half of them builders know something about the C905 that the other half don't....:-}
Anyway as I like the build up and the technicality of tmj I just keep it on my phone and wait for an update or something...

macpanda

18:02
Sunday
7-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
Nokia N95
Sony Ericsson C905

Have you tried running the bundled GPS status software - Menu->Location Services->Status Info. Let this get a lock and then leave it running in the background when you run TMJ. Make sure also that in Menu-Locations Services-Settings you have Assisted Start selected - it really makes a difference and uses practically none of your data allowance (as long as you have a data allowance) Make sure that Int GPS: Allow Costs is enabled (though if the Status Info software gets the lock first, this is probably un necessary). Not sure about Int GPS: Basic connection. I've enabled it but don't see any change. Finally, does it ask if you want to allow Location Services when you first run TMJ? if not it may be denied by the 'phone automatically. This can be changed in Menu-Organiser-My Stuff-Applications (or as stated in the manual, Menu-Organiser-Applications). Find TMJ-Mobile and select Options (left key) then Permissions - Make it Trusted.

Hope one of these helps
Paul

pt6615

16:16
Monday
8-Jun-2009

I have tried everythinng you said with several rebooting and everything I allowed everything possible and still the same. Thinking about if it has anything to do with network lock as the phone is not unlocked...

Stephen

18:03
Tuesday
9-Jun-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Does seem odd that it works fine on some peoples C905s and not on others. Which firmware is your phone running (Menu/About...)? I've checked in the TMJ logs, and looks like the following firmware versions have all worked successfully with TMJ (though these might include people using external bluetooth devices, so isn't conclusive):
R1BA034, R1BA038, R1BA042,
R1DA030, R1DA032, R1DE001,
R1EA031, R1EA033, R1BA042

Do you have any errors in the event log (Menu/Settings/Debug/View Event Log)?

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)