Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / GPS Dropping Out

Subject:GPS Dropping Out 

Berri

13:45
Thursday
6-Nov-2008

I recently upgraded to 6.4 on my BB 8100 with Bluetooth GPS, but find that when i try to connect to my GPS, it drops the connection. If i go to the GPS Settings and disconnect, the Bluetooth then becomes active but doesnt log or display anything. Any ideas as my colleague has tried the same with his 8300 and the same happens. Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen

17:37
Thursday
6-Nov-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

There aren't many changes in the bluetooth code between v0.6.4 and the previous version so I'm a bit stumped as to why its not working properly. There is a minor change that *might* have an effect, but otherwise it seems odd. Has nothing else changed on the phone (eg bluetooth settings, firmware updates, different handsfree kit, etc)?

Heres a few ideas to try...

- Fully restart the phone (turn off and remove the battery for a few seconds).
- Are you using the same GPS device with your friends 8300? If so try fully resetting the GPS as well (some need to be unscrewed to remove the battery or else might have a tiny reset button somewhere on it).
- Turn off the TMJ 'Auto-connect' setting and try reconnecting manually (you might have already tried this).

Is there anything listed in the event log (Menu/Settings/Debug Options), in particular a line saying "No Bluetooth Data - Disconnecting"? Also, how long does the GPS stay connected for (if at all) - is it long enough to at least update your current location?

Regards,
Stephen

Berri

6:46
Friday
7-Nov-2008

Hello and thank you for such a quick response. Firstly, my colleague has made no changes except upgrade to 6.4 of TMJ. He has his own BT GPS.

What happens is momentarely, your speed and location shows then drops out. The led turns green, but if I go into settings and disconnect the GPS, the blue led then comes on, but no logging takes place.

I did upgrade my BB OS to 4.5, but my colleague has only upgraded his tmj.

Thanks again.

Stephen

18:15
Friday
7-Nov-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

How about the Event Log - does it show any Bluetooth errors? Did you try rebooting the phone...?

I can try changing back some of the alterations from the previous version (make it an option at least), but this is only likely to help if you're getting the 'No Bluetooth Data' line in the log...

Berri

18:04
Saturday
8-Nov-2008

Many thanks for the advice. I tried removing the battery but it made no difference. There is no mention in the logs either.

The blue tooth momentarily connects for around 1 second, drops out. Again, if I go into GPS settings and disable the GPS, the blue tooth becomes active but it doesn't log anything. It seems to work backwards!

My other apps like google maps and BB maps work fine with the same GPS.

I hope this helps.
Kind regards

Stephen

14:03
Sunday
9-Nov-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I'm slightly confused but one idea springs to mind:-

In Menu/Settings/Other Settings have you got 'Use Internal GPS' ticked?

There are two ways that TMJ can connect to your bluetooth GPS device:
1) by directly using the bluetooth hardware to communicate exclusively with the GPS
2) by requesting its location from the phone, leaving the phones operating system to deal with the communication to the GPS device. This second option is enabled when 'Use Internal GPS' is ticked.

I'm wondering whether the phones operating system is trying to communicate with the GPS as well as TMJ (maybe because you also have BlackBerry Maps or another application running at the same time), and is therefore causing a conflict...? This shouldn't happen if you have 'Use Internal GPS' ticked, since TMJ will then request the location from the OS, rather than trying to connect to the GPS.

If you don't have 'Use Internal GPS' ticked then make sure that the phones GPS settings are set to NOT use the bluetooth device, or at the very least make sure that no other GPS-based applications are running at the same time as TMJ.

Does any of this make sense, or help at all??!!

Berri

6:57
Monday
10-Nov-2008

Hello Stephen, I do appreciate your help, but i make sure there is nothing else running. I always use Int GPS in the settings.

Is there any way i can get hold of the previous version to test and verify? Kind regards.

Stephen

17:08
Monday
10-Nov-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I'll send you an email off-list with v0.6.1 details...

Before installing that though try experimenting with the 'Allow Internal GPS Costs' and 'Internal GPS Basic Connection' settings. Restart TMJ after each change.

Also, could you let me know exactly what is listed in the Event Log (Menu/Settings/Advanced/View Event Log) after connecting (or attempting to connect) to the GPS.

Cheers,
Stephen

(When you do install v0.6.1 make sure you completely uninstall 0.6.4 first - TMJ is only designed for upgrading to a higher version, so going backwards will corrupt any existing waypoints, etc).

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)