Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / New Alert Boxes(?)

Subject:New Alert Boxes(?) 

ChrisM

8:59
Wednesday
22-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Have you changed the way alerts are displayed? Or is this another effect of me messing with the version I'm using?
I'm sure I used to get a sort of full screen monochrome display when I did things like 'Menu -> About...'. Now I get a proper dialogue box with a little 'i' in the corner... looks much neater

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

17:28
Wednesday
22-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yes the alerts are now handled by TMJ rather than using the phones default alert window. It now has full control over how they are displayed/how long for/screen size/icons used, etc. (Also the builtin alerts on the W910 are rubbish - the phone doesn't allow them to be scrolled manually for example, so I'd been meaning to get rid of them!).

By the way, is the 'Alarm' waypoint alert type any clearer on your phone, or is it still too quiet?

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

19:57
Wednesday
22-Oct-2008

Phone Model:

Well the new alert boxes are a good improvement, they definitely give the whole thing an extra professional polish.
Haven't had a chance to try out the new alarm sound. Drove past a speed camera this evening, but I had forgotten to un-mute my phone after work (Doh!). Will check it out tomorrow though and report back...

Cheers,

Chris.

ChrisM

22:20
Monday
27-Oct-2008

Phone Model:

Hi Stephen,

The new waypoint 'alarm' is a big improvement. It makes an 'old fashioned' alarm clock ringing sound now!! Audible over the radio unless I've got it very loud.

The 'only download waypoints in a certain radius' seems to work well too. (please let me know if my website waypoints are too many).

One thing... I had a bunch of waypoints in a group(5) which were sync'd with the phone. I uploaded a load of new ones into a new web group(6), and deleted the group 5 ones. They I re-sync'd with the phone again. The group 6 ones appeared on the phone, but the group 5 ones were still there too... any idea what I did wrong?

Chris.

Stephen

13:55
Tuesday
28-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear the alarm is working better!

The waypoint syncing still has a few issues, although the one you mention is by design, rather than a bug as such. During syncing the phone only *adds* waypoints from the website - it doesn't delete waypoints that don't also exist on the website. So if you want to ensure that the phone and website are totally in sync you actually need to do the following:
- If you have added any new waypoints to the phone do a normal sync to ensure that they are sent to the website.
- Clear the Waypoints on the phone from any groups that have syncing enabled.
- Sync again to re-download waypoints from the website into those groups.

I know this process probably seems a bit long winded, but the trouble is that I haven't found a reliable way for it to work without occasionally deleting waypoints that were in fact needed. In looking into the synchronisation process I'm suspicious that there is a bug which only affects some handsets (or most likely, some mobile operators) which prevents the waypoints from being sent correctly to the website - though the transmission does get through to the site, the 'HTTP POST' data which contains the waypoint info seems to get stripped, which is pretty annoying/odd! Needs further investigation...!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

14:16
Wednesday
29-Oct-2008

Phone Model:

"
- If you have added any new waypoints to the phone do a normal sync to ensure that they are sent to the website.
- Clear the Waypoints on the phone from any groups that have syncing enabled.
- Sync again to re-download waypoints from the website into those groups. "

Is there an easy way of deleting a whole group worth of waypoints in one hit on the phone, or if I have a group with many waypoints in it, that I no longer need on the phone, do I have to delete them one by one? Admittidly, not something I'm going to that to do all that often..

Oh, and while I'm on the subject of waypoints(again), what do you think about an option to show them on the map, but not in the list? I'm mainly thinking of safety cameras again, it's cool to see them on the map, but I'm never going to want to navigate to one, and they just clutter up the list when I'm looking through my 'normal' waypoints.

Chris.

ChrisM

14:20
Wednesday
29-Oct-2008

Phone Model:

<doh!>
just worked out how to clear a groups worth of waypoints...
(for anyone else...)
Menu->Clear->Clear Waypoints

Stephen

22:00
Wednesday
29-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

" what do you think about an option to show them on the map, but not in the list... "

I'll think about this - I can see the benefit, though it'll mean changing the 'Active Waypoints' code a fair bit, so I'll see how it goes.

Incidentally, if you're only concerned about the very nearest speed camera there is the 'Alert & Select Waypoint' proximity alert. The Selected Waypoint is *always* shown on the map (irrespective of the Active Groups setting), so this option would allow you to see the location of just the nearest camera. I can possibly add a similar 'Alarm & Select Waypoint' if that would be more useful?

ChrisM

23:09
Wednesday
29-Oct-2008

Phone Model:

The good thing about showing them all is that if you look at the map, you can see all the speed cams that are coming up, and the alarm draws your attention when one is drawing very near.
Don't worry too much about this one though, if it's not trivial, I can quite easily turn off the SC group when I want to play around with the 'normal' waypoints, then turn it back on before I return to the map...
I'll also have a play with the 'alert and select nearest' option.

If it's simple to add 'Alarm and Select nearest' that'd be nice. :-)

Cheers,

Chris.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)