Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Version 0.6.3 Menus

Subject:Version 0.6.3 Menus 

ChrisM

12:57
Tuesday
21-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

Have you changed the way the menus work slightly? I'm sure the 'back' button on my phone used to take me out of a menu screen, but now I need to press 'Clear' instead. Also some menus seem to be more persistant, (ie the menu stays open when I have changed a setting, and I need to press 'C' to close it. Before, it closed when I cahnged the setting.
It's no big deal, in fact, I think I will prefer this way round once I get used to it...
The only think I'm not sure about is whether I used the JP6 or JP7 version previously. I'm using the JP7 version now.
My phone is a SE W610i

Regards,
Chris.

Stephen

14:07
Tuesday
21-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I hadn't intended to change the general behaviour of the menus except in a couple of cases (eg the zero-key shortcut menu) though I did have to re-work a lot of the key-press handling code, so there might be something that I've missed or changed by mistake. My W910 doesn't have the Back key, but I'll try it again on my W800 later and see if that does anything odd...

Stephen

19:03
Tuesday
21-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

I can't find anything odd in the menu keypresses on my W800 - is there a specific menu that seems strange on your W610? Might be worth trying the JP5/6 version (the difference between this and the JP7 version is that the keys are hard-coded in the JP7 version, which might explain the odd behaviour).

Any change?

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

8:35
Wednesday
22-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Just tried JP5/6 version instead, and all seems to be back to normal on the menu front...
Did only had a very quick look this morning, so if I notice anything strange when I have a more extensive 'play' I'll let you know.
Looking back, I think I've always previously use this version, this was the first time I used JP7, so the difference was me, rather than you.

Just out of interest what are the differences as far as TMJ is concerned between the two versions?

regards,

Chris.

Stephen

17:23
Wednesday
22-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

There's not much between these versions, its mostly to do with how the phone determines which keycodes map to the keys themselves. J2ME tries to help out with this by giving the keycode for some preset 'gaming' keys, eg UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, FIRE, GAME_A, GAME_B, etc. Trouble is that not all phones seem to map these to sensible keys so a lot of the different versions have the keycodes hardcoded into the JAR file (based on testing on the individual devices or their emulators). The JP5/6 version does actually use the phones builtin codes, whereas the JP7 version has these hardcoded (based on testing on a K800i - I'll have to check this again next time I've got access to that particular handset).

Incidentally I've noticed a couple of other bugs that have cropped up due to the changes in the key-handling code. The [*] key no longer clears the track/route on starting the program, and the 'KC' keycode shown on screen when 'Show Debug Info' is enabled gives an incorrect value. I'll probably release a minor update in the next few days to fix this...

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)