Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / config reset on crash

Subject:config reset on crash 

shchenka

9:51
Tuesday
7-Oct-2008

I've noticed that sometimes, when TMJ crashes, it resets the configuration to the default values. I expect this happens when the crash occurs when it has the config file opened for writing something. Maybe there could be a backup configuration file and an option to restore the last known configuration ?
Or an option to boot the TMJ with an alternate config file ? (I know, I'm dreaming ...)

On other (very rare) occasions, it corrupts the track upon a crash, to a point that it's not able to start again, and a complete uninstall and a new clean install is required. Maybe an option to "clean start" would help then. Again, only speculating.

Stephen

14:27
Tuesday
7-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I'll look into adding an additional settings 'file' that can be manually saved to/retrieved from (probably via the existing 'Save Settings Now' option). However this will still use the default storage area allocated to the application so if all of this gets corrupted during a crash then it might not help. (I suspect that it shouldn't be affected though - we'll see...)

When it does the rarer crash requiring a re-install, what does it not do that means that you have to uninstall it? ie: does it completely freeze on start up, or something else? Does pressing the [*] key whilst loading make any difference (this starts the program without loading the track or route)?

Cheers,
Stephen

shchenka

17:00
Tuesday
7-Oct-2008

It freezes while reading track. I did not know about the '*' key, will try it the next time it happens, thanks.

As for the "backup config" my hope would be that since this file would be rarely open, the chance to get it corrupt would also be lower.
I wonder if there would be any other application of having an alternate config file.

ChrisM

22:23
Wednesday
8-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

shchenka: Is TMJ crashing really a big problem with you? I guess you probably use it more than me, but I use the app a fair amount, and I don't think it has crashed once for me... Maybe I'm just lucky though?? :-))

Chris.

shchenka

6:12
Thursday
9-Oct-2008

It does not crash as long as I don't experiment with new (to me) functions. But if it crashes, having to restore the config setting, the password, custom profiles etc. is troublesome.

Stephen

9:30
Thursday
9-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

The fact that you have to restore the Device Password is a bit of worry, makes me suspect that the backup/restore function I've been working on might not help after all. The Password and other variables in SETTINGS/Other Settings are only stored when that screen is viewed, whereas the other menu options are saved each time the program is exited. I has assumed that it was just these menu options that were getting corrupted when it crashes, but if you have to reset the password as well, then maybe the Other Settings store isn't secure either (and this isn't included in the backup anyhow). I guess we'll see, once I've got the next version ready... Incidentally, is your N95 firmware up-to-date?

shchenka

15:58
Thursday
9-Oct-2008

I think there may be a number of different reasons and several different "types" of these "crashes", I am experiencing. Usually I do not have to reenter the username/password. Today I've had TMJ exiting two times, apparently without a reason but ... I was using the browser at the same time, so I expect the phone firmware bug this time, maybe some memory management problems for concurrent apps ? Anyway, the first time I lost the stored track and all the waypoints, and the second time only the waypoints but not the config (yes, I have the latest firmware version)/

shchenka

15:19
Monday
13-Oct-2008

I've noticed that the crashes occur when I'm running several applications at the same time. Particularly the web browser occasionally causes tmj to exit, so I suspect there might be a memory management problem in the N95 firmware. This does not happen with other applications, though, only with the tmj.

Stephen

11:15
Tuesday
14-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Does it seem any more reliable if you reduce the number of waypoints used in TMJ? (Say to under 500)?

shchenka

20:03
Tuesday
14-Oct-2008

I'll try next time I use it.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)