Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Capture Geotagged Photo sounds

Subject:Capture Geotagged Photo sounds 

shchenka

9:45
Tuesday
7-Oct-2008

Even if I have my phone in the silent mode, when I'm using the "capture geotagged photo" option, it plays the recorded shutter noise. Can this be turned off ?
(btw. this happens also regardless of the level of sound volume in the TMJ's settings).

Stephen

14:20
Tuesday
7-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

TMJ doesn't have any control over the sound that the camera makes when it takes a picture, so I suspect that this is a bug in the phones firmware - if the phone is in silent mode then it really shouldn't make ANY sound whatsoever.
There may perhaps be a global setting in the phone options to turn the sound off though?

shchenka

16:54
Tuesday
7-Oct-2008

On the N95 it does not use the camera application that comes with the phone, but some other, probably more generic camera application. that normally I would not know how to invoke. It might be too generic to respect any phone settings.

Anyway, the "geotagged photo" option on N95 works but is far from stable. Often it does not take any picture or the TMJ crashes.
Not a big issue for me, reporting only :-)

ChrisM

22:14
Wednesday
8-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Just my 2p worth...
I've not used this function before, but having read this thread, I just tried it out. On my SE 610i the 'photo' sound plays normally, and does not play if the phone is in 'silent' mode, so it DOES sound like a n95 firmware bug...
One thing though, I can't work out where it is saving the pictures. I think it might have asked me the first time I went into the menu option, but I can't remember where I selected...
I guess I can find the pictures next time I connect my phone via USB and as I never use this function, it doesn't really matter anyway, but is there a way to re-select the photo destination (so I can set it to my default 'photo' folder)

Regards,

Chris.

shchenka

6:03
Thursday
9-Oct-2008

I believe the same directory that is used to store the logs. Initially I had this not set, and it used to keep asking me about the directory each time I tried to take a picture.

Stephen

9:22
Thursday
9-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Yes, the GPS/Log Options/Log Folder defines the location of the saved photos.

It seems that the photo function is a bit hit and miss - Java doesn't allow a great deal of control over the photo, it just allows a raw block of JPEG data to be grabbed from the camera, which can then be redirected to a file. However since the JPEG file can often be pretty large (and has to initially be stored within the same memory space as the rest of the program) TMJ has to request that the camera only uses a fairly low resolution (certainly not the full 5 megapixels that the N95 can deliver!). Incidentally, what size do the photos come out at on both your phones?

ChrisM

10:30
Thursday
9-Oct-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

On my SE W610i it seems to record a VGA (480x680 pixel) reesolution picture. (The camera is capable of up to 2 MegaPixels)

Regards,

Chris

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)