Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Web connection 'bug'(??) on SE W610i

Subject:Web connection 'bug'(??) on SE W610i 

ChrisM

8:30
Thursday
24-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

I've noticed something slightly odd. It's not a big deal, and it's fairly easy to work around, but just thought I'd mention it...

If I go into MainMenu -> Web -> Download Route -> Update Folders

As it tries to connect, a little 'World' icon appears in the top-left of the display.
This icon is in a different place, and looks slightly different to the normal 'Internet connection' icon that the phone shows when it is operating in phone mode (ie TMJ is not in the foreground) so I'm not sure if it is generated by TMJ or by the phone...

Anyway, problem is that if a GRPS service is unavailable(eg no phone signal), that icon never seems to go away, even if I restart TMJ (if I minimise TMJ, I can see that the phones Internet icon vanishes after a fairly short while). As far as I can tell, the only way to get rid of it is to successfully connect to the internet through TMJ.

It would also seem that once this has happened, I can't get TMJ to connect to the internet, even if I do have a service, unless I restart TMJ. Though I haven't managed to 100% confirm this.

I'm running it on a Sony Ericsson W610i, and using the SE JP5/6 version of the program(I think).

Hope this makes sense. Feel free to contact me on or off list if you would like any more information.

On the subject, I know this might be difficult as I'm guessing the Web stuff uses some sort of callback or asynchronous process, but it would be nice to somehow see if/how the download process is getting on, and when it has finished. (maybe a little 'data-transfer' icon in addition to the 'connection' one??)

Regards,

Chris.

ChrisM

10:55
Friday
25-Jul-2008

Phone Model:

UPDATE: The same little 'world' icon comes up in any Java program that I run on the phone (even ones that have no internet connectivity), so it's apparently not generated by TMJ. Is it the result of a flag or something that TMJ is setting but not clearing though?

Chris.

Stephen

19:41
Sunday
27-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

Yes, the Connection icon is superimposed by the phone itself (I guess to stop a program from using data costs without the user knowing). It can be slightly annoying though as different phones put the icon in different places, so it might end up hiding whatever TMJ is trying to display underneath!

There are a few issues with the uploading whereby if the signal cuts out or isn't present initially then TMJ will retry a few times and should then give up for a minute or so before trying again. Sometimes this doesn't work correctly though and it can keep trying indefinitely, or gets completely stuck and won't send more data until being restarted. It's likely that the 'Download Route' and 'Update Waypoints' function might suffer more from this behaviour (its very difficult to debug though as the whole web connection thing seems to differ widely between handsets/operators etc!)

The general upload/download process can sort of be monitored via the Snt/Rcd/Fld (Sent/Received/Failed) items on the TEXT/General page. In normal operation the Sent field increments each time your location is sent or you manually select Update Waypoints/Download Route, etc. There'll then be a pause whilst the phone tries to communicate with the website. If it receives an 'Ok' response from the website then the Received item will increment by one, otherwise the Failed item will increase, in which case it should wait a couple of seconds and then try again.

I've been meaning to add some further status icons, for this and other things, will get to it eventually!

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

9:55
Monday
28-Jul-2008

Phone Model:

Fair enough. Next time I try, I'll look at sent/received/failed items and see what's going on.
This issue with the icon never disappearing though, even if TMJ is restarted (it seems only a re-boot of the phone clears it), is that maybe a SonyEricsson bug rather than a TMJ one then?

Regards,

Chris.

Stephen

17:57
Monday
28-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I'd say this bug does ultimately have to lie with the phone to be honest. The whole point of a Java Virtual Machine is that the Java program itself never has direct access to the phone hardware, but instead interacts via the MIDP and CLDC APIs, which provide 'safe' ways to access the hardware (in this case the 'HttpConnection' functions allows for basic HTTP 'GET' and 'POST' operations for accessing websites). So once TMJ is exited it *shouldn't* be able to affect any other phone functions, but it seems there must be a bug in the Sony Ericsson Java APIs which stops the connection from being properly closed, and blocks it for future access too.

You're not alone here - my own W910i does this sometimes too when the mobile signal gets poor. I've suspected that it might be worse when connected via 3G/HSDPA, although I've not confirmed this for sure (and since the W610 isn't 3G anyway it must be something else too!). Its very annoying, especially since its potentially these very occasions in more remote poor-signal areas that the tracking functions could be needed most!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)