Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Saving status

Subject:Saving status 

shchenka

19:03
Thursday
17-Jul-2008

TMJ saves its status, waypoints, track etc. upon a clean exits. Would it be possible to force it to do this explicitly in certain situations without exiting ? for example when the battery is low or when the user expects some problems and would normally hit the save button just in case something goes wrong ?

Stephen

21:14
Thursday
17-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I suppose this shouldn't be too difficult to add, though I can't say that I've ever particularly been in a situation where I can predict that the phone is about to crash! The low-battery situation might be useful though.

Do you find that your phone often crashes without gracefully exiting?

shchenka

7:14
Friday
18-Jul-2008

The TMJ itself is very stable. However I've encountered several situations which prevent it from closing properly:
1. battery out - this happens as the active BT connection drains batteries quickly
2. I'm often switching between different applications, and some other applications can sometimes hang he phone (or rather force the reset)
3. The worst thing is that my phone has the button that when pressed, instantly kills the current application ("the red hangup key"). Of course
  I'm trying to avoid pressing it but every now and then this happens by accident.

I'm particularly upset with the third situation but that probably cannot be avoided.

So a feature to synchronize/save the TMJ configuration either explicitly or periodically could be useful.

Thanks a lot.

shchenka

20:06
Friday
18-Jul-2008

I've hit the hangup key by accident today again. How annoying. But it allowed me to observe, that contrary to what I thought, it does not kill the application at the spot, but TMJ attempts to shutdown properly (with the shutdown popup etc.).

Anyway, I experienced something strange that I cannot explain. When I started it again after this, all the waypoints were gone. As well as all the track sections but the last one (!). However during the startup it took the normal long time to read the track, which would indicate that it was reading all track, not only the last section, which was a pretty short one. Still, when I synchronized the waypoints with the website ... all the track sections re-appeared (together with the waypoints, but not the ones I've added in the field, these were lost). Does it make any sense to you at all ?

I've tried to reproduce this behaviour, hitting the hangup key again, and starting TMJ once again, but this time it started all right, with all the waypoints and track sections.

Probably nothing worth bothering but strange to me.

Stephen

13:27
Sunday
20-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Strange! As you noticed, TMJ does still *try* to save everything when its forcibly exited, but maybe some phones don't give it enough time to do this perhaps? I'm certainly confused by the odd behaviour next time you ran it!

Its annoying that your red 'hangup' key doesn't at least ask for confirmation to quit (on my SE W910 it asks whether to Quit or Minimise, which allows other phone functions to be used whilst TMJ runs happily in the background). I'll add the 'Save Settings Now' option to the to-do list, hopefully shouldn't be too difficult...

shchenka

16:01
Sunday
20-Jul-2008

No it does not ask.There's another key for application switching. I just have to be careful to avoid pressing the fatal hangup but of course it happens every now and then. Thanks for considering this, this way I'll be able to make sure that the recently added waypoint are not lost.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)