Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Distance calculation

Subject:Distance calculation 

farscape

19:54
Tuesday
15-Jul-2008

I had a little run today, and I found out that TMJ seems to get confused if track crosses itself. I had run 10,8 km, when I decided to turn left from a crossing. Continued that road about 1,5 km, turned back(TMJ showed 12,3 km), to the crossing again, and continued my original route to home. After about 100 metres i checked the distance, and it was 10,9 km.
Duration had also reduced by about 22 minutes. I downloaded the track to computer and the track log was all there, showing 15,3 km on the map. On TMJ distance is 12,1 km. Duration differs by 22 mins. So, TMJ seems to ignore my little extra.

Stephen

18:47
Wednesday
16-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

There really is no way that the track *should* be affected by it crossing over itself - I can't think of any bit of the code where this would make the slightest difference!!

I wonder if this is the same 'bug', or effect, as mentioned recently in another thread:

" ...have you perhaps got a low value set in 'Menu/Settings/Limit Track Size to ... Points'? When the track becomes bigger than this value it is automatically cropped to conserve memory. Just set this to something really big to effectively disable it, or use a larger value for 'Settings/Min Time Betweeen Points' or 'Settings/Min Time Betweeen Points' so that the track doesn't get big so quickly. "

How did you subsequently transfer the track to the computer? If it was from the Menu/GPS/Logging file then this would indeed contain the entire track (nothing is ever removed from the log file). However, if you used the File/Export Track... function to save the track then I must say I'm confused as to why it saved the complete track but didn't display it all on the phone!!?

Cheers,
Stephen

farscape

19:08
Wednesday
16-Jul-2008

You were absolutely right. Track had more than 1000 points, witch was set as maximum.
I transferred the entire log to computer, so it had all points anyway. Thanks for your help.
And thanks for this great application too.

Stephen

20:01
Wednesday
16-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

No worries - I'm just glad it wasn't another bug after all!!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)