Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Backlight On gone

Subject:Backlight On gone 

tmpgeo

22:42
Friday
4-Jul-2008

Hi!

I love the new version 5.9, but why did you have to remove the backlight on function?

I used my phone as a car navigation device - plugging it in not to worry about battery. Now I can't, cause when I want to take a look at the map, I have to fumble about the keyboard to lit up the screen.

Can you please reintroduce this function in the next version?

Thank you!

Stephen

13:51
Saturday
5-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

You don't say which version of TMJ you've downloaded (or which device you're using) - some versions have the backlight controls disabled (if the particular phone doesn't support the backlight methods, Blackberry for instance), but most of them should still have it enabled (eg the Nokia and Sony Ericsson versions all do). What phone are you using?

Cheers,
Stephen

Alec

20:52
Saturday
13-Sep-2008

I too have not been able to find this feture, i use it for cycling (i am too young to drive :( ) and a constant feture would be nice, however my phone slides (nokia 6500 s - really robust actualy) so that works, but it would be nice

Stephen

10:11
Sunday
14-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Alec,

Which version of TMJ did you install? Some of the versions don't have the backlight control enabled, though the basic Nokia version should have it (under Menu/Display/Backlight On...)?

There are a number of methods that TMJ can use to try to keep the backlight on, some of which will work better on particular handsets. (Java doesn't actually offer a nice easy way to do this so TMJ has to 'fiddle' it!). Try each of the 5 methods in turn listed in Menu/Settings/More Settings to see which one works best on your 6500...

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

19:09
Sunday
14-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

From what you said about there not being an easy way to control the backlight, this may be a non-starter, but I'll ask anyway;
Is there a way for Java to know if a phone is on-charge or not? It'd be good if there was a 'keep backlight on when on-charge' option so that the backlight would stay on when (for example) the phone was in the car(and plugged in), but revert to temporary on when I unplug it and set off on a walk(or whatever)

Cheers,

Chris.

Stephen

18:45
Monday
15-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

No, I'm afraid Java is generally quite limited in the information that it can get from the phone about charging status, battery level, signal strength, etc. Its a bit annoying as there are a number of features, like your auto-backlight suggestion, that could be useful.

Incidentally, some individual handset models might give access to certain bits of information, but this is usually via manufacturer-specific APIs, which just get fiddly to use as a different version has to be coded for each model.

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

12:48
Tuesday
16-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

I thought you might say that. Shame that the manufacturers/java can't get their act together, and provide common functionality such as charge status battery level and signal strength via a standard java object...
Never mind though, it's not a big deal as far as I'm concerned. I've recently worked out you can use the number keys as shortcuts to access the menu, so (for example) <main-menu>13 will turn the backlight on/off.

Cheers,

Chris.

Alec

11:45
Friday
26-Sep-2008

Sorry for my like of formality in this, i am at school.
I was annoyed that my navagion keys didnt work orrigonally, but i was using the basic version lol.
switched the the nokia version, for my phone, backlight control map navagion, brill all there, still making the mistake of using 2,4,6,8 keys to navagate lol, but its awsome, i also found (weirdly) that my battery lasted longer when using the correct version, even though the backlight was on the whole time, i did a shorter trip once, and flicked my phone up on the odd occasion to see how i was doing, and it died sooner (time wise) then it does now with the backlight on constant....weird lol

Also got my BT GPS fixed, i went inside it, and unscrewed it all, found nothing wrong, put it back together, and, viola. brill :)

any gtg and do some work now.

IN SHORT, USE THE PROPER SOFTWARE :)

also i have just descovered theres 3 display 'modes'
day (all white ish)
dawn/dusk (like darker but keeps the dials and info veiws the same)
night (every thing is nice and dark, so can be seen easliy at night, without causing eye strain (light adjustment))

all brill softwere, really gtg now, take care, and rember, dont use the gps while driving =p

lastly anytalk of getting goole maps, intergrated with the mobile version, i live in a very rural area, that would be nice, as we get some detail now, and on a foggy day (i realised this this morning) taht would be awsome

really gtg
cya later guys

alec

again i apllogoise for the spelling mistakes (dixlexia in all fairness) and for the lack of formality.

Stephen

20:36
Friday
26-Sep-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Alec,

Good to hear the GPS is working again!

I suspect the 'third' mode might be your phone automatically turning down the screen brightness when it is darker - TMJ definitely only has the two main Night/Day settings!!

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)