Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / maps on p1i - only white/gray rectangulars

Subject:maps on p1i - only white/gray rectangulars 

kamczak

21:05
Friday
4-Jul-2008

I put some maps on my memory card, but they are not displayed properly, neither my own ones nor your map of centre of London. All I can see is a white rectangular (bigger than the screen size) on gray backgroung. On the right side of my screen a new symbol has appeared: two triangles forming somthing like a hourglass. I also attach the log that I don't understand, as usual. This situation does not change (at least 10 minutes of waiting)

Stephen

13:48
Saturday
5-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

The black hourglass is displayed when TMJ is trying to load a map tile. I'm not sure why you've started getting these errors though - had the maps been working okay before? Have you got 'Map Caching' or 'Alternate Map Loading Method' enabled by any chance (in Settings)?

kamczak

17:26
Saturday
5-Jul-2008

Alternate map loading method worked, something has showed. The whole map can be seen, but why on the gray backgroung (top) there are white (left down) and black (right down) color?

Stephen

9:46
Monday
7-Jul-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Does the very basic 'World - Simple' map load properly?

It might be that the P1i is very slow to read the maps from the memory card - this often seems to be the case with Symbian-based phones (which can sometimes be improved slightly by the Alternate Map Loading method).

The grey background is displayed where the map is out of coverage (it looks like you've scrolled right to the top of the map). The white background is usually displayed when the phone is still trying to load a tile. The black is possibly a result of the map tiles not being fully assembled in the MapOrganiser. Is this particular map one that you've created yourself? It might also be due to a bug in the Map Cache code (I've improved this in the forthcoming version) - if you have this enabled then try clearing the cache (Menu/Clear/Map Cache).

Also, looking at the previous screenshot, where you have lots of repeats of Map 1:1, Map 1:2, etc, these are logged each time you try to switch map zoom/layer (with the */# keys). If you are using a phone that is very slow to load the map then pressing these keys whilst the map is still loading can result in the map not displaying for ages (if at all), which probably explains the 'frozen' hourglass display.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)