Subject:Bluetooth Heart Rate Monitor 

sentinal

10:18
Monday
23-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
-

Hi Stephen,

I stumbled on this while looking for heart rate monitors http://www.blatand.net. Hopefully they will start to become available to buy online. A heart rate monitor as well would start to get silly :-)

David

Stephen

15:23
Monday
23-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi David,

That looks pretty interesting - be good if they had some more info about it, particularly how the bluetooth connection might work. It could be quite cool to have a heart-rate graph alongside the speed/altitude graphs, especially with the calorie burn information that I'm currently working on!

Some phones might not be able to communicate with two bluetooth devices at once (ie GPS and heartrate), but I guess it should be possible on most recent handsets.

Let me know if you hear of any further developments on this product...

Cheers,
Stephen

sentinal

22:08
Tuesday
24-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
-

Hi Stephen,

Hopefully some more companies will start to make them without proprietary software with examples of how to connect via bluetooth with java code. I will keep looking. A graph/info page showing speed/altitude/calories/heartrate would be very good.

The calorie burn information your working on sounds great. I can't wait to see how much of the day before's pizza I’m riding off :)

I'm not sure if it helps I found this site a while back.

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/activities.php

Cheers,

David

Stephen

9:13
Wednesday
25-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Thanks for the link - looks like that site uses the same base data that I've been using. Its reassuring to find that their figures are fairly consistent with those I've been getting from TMJ testing!

Cheers,
Stephen

max64

8:21
Tuesday
12-May-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung GT B2710

Hi,
Is anything happening with HRM, either with or without integrated GPS?
I noticed that blatand.net has morphed into mobimotion. I also came across Zephyr Bluetooth HRM and HxM products (http://www.zephyrtech.co.nz/).
There seems to be an associated open source community, but I don't know how relevant these developments are to mobiles.
Best regards,
Peter

Stephen

20:25
Tuesday
12-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Peter,

Their Zephyr Bluetooth HRM device looks interesting, reading through the SDK it looks relatively straightforward to connect to from a phone, probably using a similar method to the existing GPS bluetooth connection code. They don't give much detail in the way of pricing/ordering, though a Google search suggests it might be over USD100, so possibly a bit high. I'll maybe look into it a bit further...

Cheers,
Stephen

max64

9:47
Friday
15-May-2009

Phone Model:
Samsung GT B2710

Hi Stephen,
$100 for the Zephyr was the price I came across too. As you say, quite a lot for what it is.
Maybe the bluetooth heart rate concept will gain momentum. I like the idea of having as few gadget user interfaces as possible. The smart-phone seems to be an ideal point of convergence.
Cheers,
Peter

sentinal

12:05
Friday
15-May-2009

Phone Model:
-

Good find Zephyr Max64, $100 does seem a lot of money. Hopefully Polar producing a BT heart rate belt might make prices a bit more competitive in the future. I guess it many become possible to individually buy replacement belts from Polar.

Nokia_N79_Active_datasheet.pdf

Stephen

10:46
Saturday
16-May-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Its strange that the Polar belt only seems to be available with that specific phone - you'd think they'd also sell it separately. They must have an agreement with Nokia I guess...

sentinal

16:33
Saturday
16-May-2009

Phone Model:
-

No doubt getting a replacement belt from Nokia would be difficult and costly.

SE and other mobile makers are probably busy in R&D, on the plus side :-)

cfernandes

1:10
Monday
1-Jun-2009

Congratulation for the software developed here, for what I already saw, is one of the best. Great work.

I'm a fan of this type of software and also believe that one day we will just need a mobile phone to do it all.

Back to topic.

Check also this BT Heart Rate, solution.
http://www.frwd.fi/?71

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)