Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Problems with the website...(?)

Subject:Problems with the website...(?) 

ChrisM

15:47
Friday
6-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Is it just me, or is anyone else having ccasional problems with the TMJ website?
It seems to forget I've logged in. Sometimes it'll work fine for ages, other times I'll be in the middle of something (eg changing some settings) and it'll dump me back to the login screen.

It's not a big deal, as I can always do what I want to, it's just that I have to enter my user credentials more often than I should...(?)

Any thoughts??

Regards,

Chris.

Stephen

11:12
Saturday
7-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

When logged into the website as a security measure if the IP address of your computer changes then you will be automatically logged out. Usually, every computer connected to the internet has a unique IP address (or possibly shared with other computers using the same broadband connection), which will stay the same as long as the connection is kept alive.

I've looked at the server logs and it appears that the IP address where you have been accessing the site from has occasionally fluctuated between two different values, which would explain why you have been seeing the forced-logout behaviour.

Is there anything 'unusual' about the way you are connected to the internet? Are you possibly using a laptop with both a wireless connection and an ethernet connection which might be connecting you to two different networks at a time, each with their own internet link? The computer might then 'choose' to switch between the two connections at will, for example if it thinks that the speed of one has become better than the other?

Another possibility is if you are using a dial-up or adsl-modem which keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to the internet, if might then be assigned a different IP address for each new connection.

Do either of these theories sound likely?

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

10:22
Monday
9-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Bugerit!

Just typed a long response to this, and my PC seems to have decided to lose it all!!
Can't be bothered to type it all again, so in summary:
Hi Stephen,
When you say my IP address fluctuates, is that during the course of the day, or just a different one in the evening? I use this account from 2 PCs (work and home) so I'd expect you to see a different IP address after about 7pm.
If it fluctuates during the day then, my work has 2 ADSL routers(with different fixed IP addresses) out onto the internet. Only one is supposed to be used for normal internet access, but possibly they are both being used for this if there is a problem with the config. I may need to look into that. If you could let me know the ip addresses you are seeing me from (privately please) that'd be very helpful.

Thanks,

Chris.

Stephen

15:54
Monday
9-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris, yep there's definitely 2 IPs in use during the day (plus a third one at night). I'll e-mail you off-list with the details...

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)