Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Wishlist for future releases!

Subject:Wishlist for future releases! 

jonte

11:51
Saturday
31-May-2008

First I want to say that I find this application great! I especially enjoy the ability to use my own maps and that most parts of the program works offline.

Here is a list of my personal wishes for future releases... in no particular order. If some of these are missed by me and present already, pointing this out to me would be great. I am aware that some may be over the top, but hey, wishing can do no harm!

1. Ability to pause and resume track-recording. Especially when I record a track that I later want to convert to a route it would be great to pause the recording when I for example have to take a detour because of a roadwork or suddenly need to relieve myself in the woods when on a hike. Resuming recording when you're back on track should result in a neatly recorded track suitable for conversion to a route. Also good if you use TMJ as a running diary, just pause when you are finished and stop running and you can then catch your breath without worrying about extra track points beeing recorded.

2. Send the entire track with some kind of confirmation. I have no flatrate. Somewhere on the site you mention that each connection results in far more data beeing transfered than is actually needed (headers etc.) You recommend increasing the time between uploads and choose 'send intermediate points' to make datatransfer more effective. Wouldent the most economic way be just one single transfer? I do this today by enabling upload when I have completed the track (with the option to send intermediate points and to send points from start). It is however hard to determine when transfer is complete and I have sometimes quitted the app before the transfer is complete, resulting in missing points on the webpage. Having a menu-command that enables web upload, sends the entire track from start, disables web upload and then gives me feedback that the task is completed would be great.

3. Temporarily hide direction-triangles/current location circle. When using detailed maps i often find that crucial parts of the map are beeing hidden by the red circle indicating current position or by one of the green, blue or red triangle. I like that they are big and clear, and I do not want to disable them as they contain useful information, but an easy way to temporarily hide them or make them very transparent would be nice. Perhaps use the fire buttom to cycle between auto pan on/auto pan off/hidden triangles and circle. It may be useful to indicate current position with a red 2x2 px dot in this 'view map only mode'. Probably a good idea to also hide route and track lines.

4. Only display selected waypoint in map page. Sometimes the map window can be crowded with waypoints, especially when using maps covering a big area. When deactivating waypoint groups they also disappear from the waypoint window. An option to hide all waypoints except the currently selected one in just the map/plan window and still see them all in the waypoints page would be great.

5. Option to show speed in min/km. Used among runners, at least in Sweden and among happy amateurs like me :-)

6. Customisable subpage in text information page. A subpage displaying only the text info you want, big clear and bright, on the same page, without any extra info taking up space.

7. Support of different datums and grids. I guess this is a big thing, but it would be nice. The ability to add waypoints in other datums and grids and have them translated to WGS84 when added would be a nice step on the way. (I dont know anything about programming, so i have no idea if this would make things easier.)

8. Naming the track in the phone when enabling upload.

9. Export route and track via bluetooth without leaving TMJ.

10. Adding waypoints or routepoints by manually entering coordinates. I have located the command to edit lat/long, but not to create one from scratch by entering the coordinates.

11. A prompt wether to clear the track or continue the existing one upon launch. I tend to forget to clear the track when launching the app, resulting in tracks spanning several days. A new section is created though, which makes it easier to fix afterwards, but I think a prompt upon launch would be a good idea.

Hope that some of these functions find their way into future releases!

Keep up the good work...

Regards,
Jonte

Stephen

10:40
Sunday
1-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jonte,

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. In the main I think most of them should be addressed in the next version...

" 1. Ability to pause and resume track-recording. "
Yep, this is a definite, I've already got it running in my test version after Chris' suggestion in another thread. I'm also looking to add an option to automatically unpause it after a specified distance has been reached from the point that it was first paused (though this won't necessarily help with the uses that you've given).

" 2. Send the entire track with some kind of confirmation. "
This one is a 'maybe'. I think at some point I need to overhaul the way the phone communicates with the website, but this probably won't be before the next release.
You can currently monitor the phones transmissions via the Snt/Rcd/Fld field on the TEXT/General page. When the track is sent it is split up into groups of trackpoints that are then sent in separate transmissions (it still does this even if you send 'in one go' once you have completed the track). When you Enable Upload the Snt value will start to increase. Each time a response is received from the website the Rcd value will also increase. Basically all you need to do it wait until the Snt value stops increasing and the Rcd value is the same figure. Then you'll know that the whole track has been sent to the website. (Not perfect, I know, but it might help your current situation!)

" 3. Temporarily hide direction-triangles/current location circle. "
I'll add a View option to 'Hide Clutter when Scrolling' that will remove these items when the cursor keys are pressed. Similar (but in reverse) to how the little crosshair appears on the Plan/Map when scrolling (assuming you've NOT got Show Crosshair selected).

" 4. Only display selected waypoint in map page. "
I've actually been revamping this already - there will be a number of changes similar to this in the next version...

" 5. Option to show speed in min/km. "
Yep, should be straightforward to add that...

" 6. Customisable subpage in text information page. "
A possibility. There is already builtin capability for the Text page items to (theoretically) be preset via the website, but this needs a fair bit more work, so might not be in the next version.

" 7. Support of different datums and grids. "
I agree it would be nice to have, unfortunately the maths behind these conversions can get pretty heavy so I'm kind of reluctant to delve into this (I imagine I'd end up tearing my hair out!)

" 8. Naming the track in the phone when enabling upload. "
Another maybe - same as answer 2!

" 9. Export route and track via bluetooth without leaving TMJ. "
I'll think about this one. It depends how complicated this is to do via bluetooth.

" 10. Adding waypoints or routepoints by manually entering coordinates. "
Yep, this one is already in the pipeline (for waypoints at least, not sure if its really needed for routepoints).

" 11. A prompt wether to clear the track or continue the existing one upon launch. "
I don't particularly see the need for this one myself, though if others disagree I could add it. Do you know about the Star key shortcut - when TMJ is first loading if you press the Star key then it will load 'clean', with an empty track and route. Kind of what you're after, though I guess its easy to forget to do this as well!! ;-)

Cheers,
Stephen

jonte

19:37
Sunday
22-Jun-2008

Thank you for the thorough reply!

Looking forward to 0.6! :-)

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)