Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Clock

Subject:Clock 

ChrisM

9:05
Friday
30-May-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

I thought I'd seen a reference to this before in this forum, but I can't find it now...

When I look at the clock in TMJ it shows one hour ahead of the actual time (if I'm connected to the GPS gizmo, and it can see some satellites) So if the actual time is 1800, TMJ says 1900.
My phone's built in clock, (and TMJ if not connected to the GPS) shows the correct time.
I guess it's got something to do with BST and GMT or something but wouldn't that make it an hour behind...?

Stephen

10:15
Friday
30-May-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

TMJ takes its current time zone settings from the phone so this needs to be set up correctly. For the UK make sure your phones timezone is set to GMT and the Daylight Saving set to On. I imagine you'll then find that the phone time is wrong, so correct this and it should all work fine.

(When the clocks go back in October you should then just set the phones Daylight Saving to Off, rather than manually correcting the time).

I'm a bit surprised that the time is correct when you're not connected to the GPS - internally the phones clock and the GPS and TMJ work exclusively in GMT so I don't see why there should be this discrepancy... weird!

Any luck?

ChrisM

13:00
Friday
30-May-2008

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Ok,

Sorted! My phone's time settings were in a bit of a state. It was set to GMT+2 and Daylight Savings Time was off.
That means TMJ was displaying 2 hours ahead of GMT which puts it one hour ahead of BST which explains the extra hour. I assume that when not connected to any satellites, TMJ uses the phone's clock(??) which had been 'forced' to show the correct time.

It's strange because I remember setting it all up correctly originally. I wonder if when I've been abroad, some auto-clock-update thing has been messing with the settings, and then I've unthinkingly just changed the clock back to the correct local time when I got home...(?)

Anyway, whatever, with the timezone set to GMT and DST turned on, the phone clock is (more or less) the same as 'satellite time' now, so all is well.
Thanks for the pointers, and apologies for blaming TMJ!! :-)

Chris.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)