Forums / General Topics / nokia N82 Map issue

Subject:nokia N82 Map issue 

psjtrack

21:54
Wednesday
7-May-2008

Stephen

Just got N82.

Used N95 file for installation, all seemed well , ie internal GPS connecting fine and all menus working well, until I get to maps.

Transferred over 2 working TMJ map files from 810i to N82, It seems to read 1 of the files but not display it and does not even acknowledge the other. Having failed to load 2nd file I cannot reselect 1st one.

Also fails on your Isle of Wight map, when I mean fails I mean the the screen stays as "no maps loaded".

Any ideas.

Pete

Stephen

12:54
Thursday
8-May-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Pete,

I've been trying to access Nokia's 'Remote Device Access' system in order to test this (allows testing on a real device, connected over the internet via their labs in Finland - very clever!), but their N82 test device is offline at the moment. It runs fine in the Series 60 emulator (though the emulators are often slightly different to the phone). I suspect that this might be a phone firmware issue, since the N95 version should (in theory) work the same on any Series 60 device.

Some phones can be extremely slow to read the memory card, which might be the case with the N82. Try the 'World - Simple' map from the Map Library (its only 67kB so should be fairly quick to load). Restart TMJ before trying it, and give it a few minutes to load the map (sounds ridiculous, but some phones are this slow, especially with large map files). If it does kind of work, using the Map Cache option (Menu/Settings) can speed up the display of previously-viewed map tiles.

(Might also be worth saving the map in the phones internal memory rather than the memory card)

Will continue to try the Nokia RDA system...

Regards,
Stephen

psjtrack

21:26
Thursday
8-May-2008

Stephen

Exactly right.

Simple world map worked fine. Then got my 3 meg IOW file working, then with a very long wait my 67 meg IOW OS map worked. It was a strange effect but once things got working, loading got much faster.

Many thaks for the help.

Add N82 with internal GPS to the list.

Regards

Pete

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)