Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Route mode suggest

Subject:Route mode suggest 

TDHster

10:08
Wednesday
5-Mar-2008

When driving car with previously entered route, sometimes not convinient without knowledge how far next routepoint and where will be next turn. In track view not easily to see this - font is small and on screen not always possilbe to understand this. I think, if envisage of 'drive mode' on route screen something like this: http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=400&uid=428090408 - show with big font distance to next routepoint and direction of turn with big arrow - it will be very convinient. Maybe if it show on key 5 screen - it will be more usefull.

And in addition about graphics in key 9.
When for example walking with average speed about 5-6 km/h and than driving with speed about 90-100 km/h, and see this graphs - in 'y' axis limit will be on maximum speed on all journey, and if I want find point on graph when I walking slowly or standing for some time - it will ve very difficult to do because with zoom on walking part scale on y axis will take from all trip. May be change scale dynamically with zoom by taking maximum from displayed part? It will be helpfull.

Stephen

0:28
Saturday
8-Mar-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi THDster,

I've been thinking about your suggestions... I like the idea of the direction arrow but I can't see how it could work reliably within TMJ-Mobile at the moment. The problem is that giving a specific direction like this relies on the phone knowing that there is a road junction coming up, which it can only do if it has an accurate map of the area (plus a lot of other 'meta' data and information about your route and where you are trying to get to).

Currently the routing consists simply of a number of points in space, which don't necessarily bear any relation to each road junction, so when, for instance, the first route point is reached it can only point you towards the next route point, which may or may not be on a junction, but how is the program to know this?

In essence, all the program can currently do is point you towards the next routepoint, which is what the Gauges/Compass page does... I could certainly look into adding this as an overlay onto the Navigation page - do you think this would help?

With regard to your other suggestion about the graph page, I'll definitely look into this. I agree that its not currently very useful for looking at a track that has many different speed/transport types. Perhaps if it calculates the y-axis just from the currently viewed track section, this might help?

Cheers,
Stephen

TDHster

6:36
Saturday
8-Mar-2008

I understand you, pixel-maps doesn't provide accurate information about junction coordinates. But while entering route in tmj and drive than need information about where will be next turn. In some many cases you know that next crossing is you plus or minus some distance and information whih side is very needed. It situation can occur on unknown cities when driving on highway not on network of many small road, also in not urban zone when intersection very seldom but speed is too high for searching needed screen. I suppose if in one screen show next turn direction, ETA to routepoint and distance it might be very helpfull like in navigation programm than have vector maps garmin nuvi and etc.
About y-axis - yes, I think about just it.

Stephen

15:53
Saturday
8-Mar-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

I suppose that it could at least show the general direction to turn at the next routepoint. Maybe if there was also a way of flagging particular routepoints as 'junctions' then it could show the direction to turn at the next junction (even if this is a few routepoints ahead). I'll bear this all in mind for the next (or subsequent) version.
Cheers,
Stephen

10:32
Wednesday
2-Apr-2008

I arrive at an idea that autozoom mode that include not only nearest waypoint or routepoint but two nearest point comletle solve this suggest :)

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)