Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / W810i GPS Connection flakiness

Subject:W810i GPS Connection flakiness 

mandereck

23:03
Tuesday
26-Feb-2008

Greetings,

First, thank you for the opportunity to try TMJ. I have a new found interest in my Sony W810i now. This program prompted me
to debrand my Cingular phone so that I may use it with my bluetooth GPS. The difficulties I'm experiencing are twofold.

The first problem is that using the 'Exit' function doesn't always result in a clean shutdown, and the program hangs while cleaning up. I have to use the built in 'Exit Application' function Which may be the cause of the second issue.

Second, my GPS is always detected by the program's 'Connect' utility, but it doesn't always connect. The phone is setup for Bluetooth Powersave
'OFF' which allows for multiple BT devices to connect simultaneously as I also have a headset. Even with the headset off I experience difficulties.
The BT GPS in question is a GlobalSat BT359C.

I have other GPS programs on the phone that aren't suffering from the GPS connection problem.

Any assistance in this area is appreciated, I'm happy to provide any other information that may be of use.

Sincerely,

Mark

Stephen

12:50
Wednesday
27-Feb-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

This is a bit weird since I originally developed TMJ on a W800i (very similar to your W810i) and I also use a BT359 GPS and haven't had any problems with the BT connection. Having said that I did briefly use a W850 the other day which did something similar to your description...

First off it might be worth trying it with the Powersave switched on. Also, when it does successfully connect, if you tick the Autoconnect option does this seem to make it any more likely to successfully connect the next time the program is started?

I've emailed you a slightly updated version which gives an alternative BT connection method...

Regards,
Stephen

mandereck

23:22
Wednesday
27-Feb-2008

Thank you Stephen for the fast action. I did as you suggested, uninstalled the original app and installed the revised .jar..no dice. It acts pretty much like the other app following your instructions. One thing I failed to mention is that my GPRS internet globe appears pretty much all the time, as I've set it to upload to your site. I still have the shutdown hang as well, it only hangs on Exit if it doesn't go through your connection closing and cleanup procedure if that makes sense. Any way I can attach a debugger for you? I have Netbeans, Sun and the Sony plugins on my machine, but I've never written even a 'Hello, World' app in my life.

Mark

Stephen

12:15
Friday
29-Feb-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

I think the on-device debugging might get a bit complicated - its something that I rarely do here. Having said that if you are able to use the Sony Ericsson ConnectionProxy and DeviceExplorer you might check to see if there are any untrapped errors appearing in the error log when TMJ-Mobile is exited. Heres how I do it:
- Start SE ConnectionProxy
- Connect the phone
- Start DeviceExplorer
- Locate TMJ-Mobile in left-hand pane and start it
- Log should appear in bottom pane. Check for errors

A couple of further thoughts to try...
- does it still hang on exiting if you haven't been using the web upload. (Try turning off 'Web/Enable Upload At Start' if you currently have it on).
- does it hang on exiting if the GPS had been connected successfully, or only when it is having problems with the BT connection?
- Is BT any more reliable after a full phone restart (turn off and remove battery for a few seconds)

Regards,
Stephen

mandereck

3:51
Saturday
1-Mar-2008

Stephen,

Okay, results from running Sony Device Explorer...

First attempt at connecting, hung on BT connect and hung on app close, not set to Force BT Master:

Log: UTF-8 encoding on
Log: Maps: 3x6 2x3
Log: Trkpts:32
Log: Wpts:1
Log: ISO-8859-1
java.lang.NullPointerException
at unknown
at java.lang.Thread.run
at unknown
at unknown
Log: 0 : BT-GPS-3723F7
Log: 1 : HOTROD
Log: 2 : Photosmart 2570 series
Log: inquiryCompleted
java.io.IOException: Error connecting to 000DB53723F7 3
at unknown
at unknown
at unknown
at unknown
at unknown
Log: serviceSearchCompleted

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)