Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Maps on Motorola

Subject:Maps on Motorola 

martinbone

17:32
Thursday
10-Jan-2008

I have been able to install TMJ on my Motorola SLVR L7 using Motomidman, to give TMJ full access to the file system. Now I can import waypoint... files and export track... to a file successfully. However, I have a problem with maps. I'm able to locate and open a map file from the file system - but when it opens, it just appears as a white square with no image. I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions. Many thanks.

Stephen

20:33
Thursday
10-Jan-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Martin,

Glad to hear that the track/waypoint filing functions have worked okay - I've wondered whether there'd be a way of removing the Motorola locks on the file system!

I don't have access to the SLVR myself, although I have been able to get it to run in the Motorola emulator (which also allows access to the filing system). The maps seem to load okay on that, so I'm not sure why its not working correctly on the phone itself.

Which map file have you tried to load? I'd suggest trying the 'World - Simple' map from the Map Library page (the 3rd one down). This is a very simple map (its only 67kB), if that doesn't work then nothing will!! I've noticed that in the emulator the larger map files can take longer to load (and the screen background is just plain white whilst they're loading), could this be what you are seeing? Is the hourglass displayed on the right hand side (looks like two black triangles stuck together) - this shows that the program is currently busy loading a map.

Also, are there any errors listed in the event log (Main Menu/Display/View Event Log)?

Regards,
Stephen

martinbone

22:04
Thursday
10-Jan-2008

Many thanks. Yes, I've tried the Nasabmgreen.tmj map. Yes, the hourglass is displayed on the right hand side but never disappears. The white box just stays blank. I've left it without anything happening for 15+ minutes.

There is an error in the event log:

165805.371Err:java.lang.
NullPointerException @ LMI;

Many thanks for your help.
TMJ is an excellent program.

Martin

Stephen

10:47
Friday
11-Jan-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Martin,

Hmmm, seems like something odd is happening here. The error message helps a bit - I'll send you a test version in the next couple of days which might help narrow down where the error is occuring...

One quick thought - when you download the map files and copy them to the phone do they still have a .tmj file extension?

Cheers,
Stephen

martinbone

14:21
Friday
11-Jan-2008

Many thanks - that would be much appreciated. Yes, the files still have the .tmj extension once I've copied them to my phones micro SD card.

Martin

Stephen

15:21
Saturday
12-Jan-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Martin, I've sent you a test version off-list...

Paberu

11:49
Thursday
19-Jun-2008

Hi, i have the L7 cell too, but im running in a little different problem. Using the last v0.5.9 (Beta). I copied tmj map to msd card, and to the file system of mobile phone, but when i try to do Select Map File -> 1.Locate Map File, nothing happens, the menu disapears, no wach is displayed, and still NO MAPS LOADED message displayed, used small world tmj downloaded from here.

Stephen

16:07
Thursday
19-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Paberu,

As far as I know a default L7 doesn't allow access by Java to the phones memory card. I think Martin used a 'hack' to allow the phone to access the memory card, but annoyingly even with the test versions that I sent him, we weren't able to get to the bottom of the map problem - if I remember correctly I think we concluded that the phone didn't have enough memory to load the maps.

After you try to access the Locate Map File option I imagine that you'll see a 'SecurityException' error or similar listed in the Event Log, this is generated when the phone blocks access to the card.

Sorry to not be of much help - its a shame that I'm unable to get the maps working on Motorola phones. :-(

Regards,
Stephen

k009034

9:30
Friday
27-Jun-2008

Hi Stephen,
I just got the software working on my Motorola W510 with Royaltek BT2100 bluetooth modem. I'll have to say your software is just great.

About the Motorola map problem: On my phone, only one tile of the map is shown when the program starts and I choose the map display. For example only the tile in the lower left corner is shown. When I choose another layer of the map, the tile changes to a white tile and the map data is not shown. The map data is not shown in any layer any more. The map reappears only when the program is restarted.

Maybe there is a way to send you a log file of some kind, if you need one.

Hope this helps even a bit to solve the motorola map problem.

With regards,
Jukka

Stephen

11:34
Sunday
29-Jun-2008

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Jukka,

Thanks for the bug report. I'm afraid this is another one of the weird map issues that I've never managed to fix on Motorola phones. Its annoying that it works okay in the Motorola emulator, but without a phone handset to experiment with I don't know what to suggest - I really need to have a handset to hand, rather than sending out test versions as this bug seems to be a bit more deep-rooted than others.

Sorry! :-(

Regards,
Stephen

k009034

5:33
Monday
30-Jun-2008

Hi Stephen,
Don't worry. I just wanted to let you know what I found out. I think the problem lies in the Motorola's operating system and in the hack needed to gain access to the file system. Here's another symptom I noticed: The program hanged on startup this morning and I installed the Sony Ericsson version on top of the Motorola version on my phone. This helps when the program just hangs and some of the Sony Ericsson software really work on Motorola phones. When I chose the map display using the Sony Ericsson version, three map tiles were shown: lower left corner, lower right corner and top right corner. After I installed the Motorola version again, only one tile was shown. Just to let you know.

Keep on the good work!

Regards,
Jukka

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)