Subject:BB8707 internet connection seems to fail 

markpenders

20:12
Saturday
8-Dec-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Hi Stephen,

First of all: congrats for the new site design and the new version of TMJ.

On my BB 8707 I notice that the upload/download to/from the internet doesn't seem to be working. A few observations:

- I can't update the waypoints from TMJ mobile
- when I start an upload to the website, in the "1 - GENERAL" screen, I only see "failed" uploads. The snt/rcd fields remain empty.

I've tried the same functions on my Nokia6234 and there they seem to working fine.

If you got an explanation, that would be great. If you want me to analyse this or that, just let me know.

Cheers,

Mark.

Stephen

11:15
Sunday
9-Dec-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

Did the upload problems just start out of the blue or was it after upgrading to the new version? Has anything else changed on the phone that you know of that might have altered its internet connection settings, and do other Java programs still work okay (eg OperaMini)?

The new version allows you to specify the BlackBerry internet APN settings manually (although if it used to work okay then I'm not sure if you'll need to enter these). In the Menu/Settings page try the following settings:

WAP APN: blackberry.vodafone.nl
IP: 192.168.251.150
Port: 9201

If this doesn't help do you get any errors listed in the event log (Menu/Display/Show Event Log)?

Regards,
Stephen

markpenders

17:46
Sunday
9-Dec-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Stephen,

It seemed to me that it started to fail after the upgrade to v0.5.6. Afaik nothing else changed on the BB, but I'll check some settings anyway. OperaMini for example still works fine.

Something else I notice is that bringing up the Menu/Settings page leads to a Java error: "Uncaught exception". Fairly consistent behaviour.

Does this help?

Cheers,

Mark.

markpenders

21:06
Sunday
9-Dec-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Hi Stephen,

having read one of the other posts on the forum, I checked the event log. An error message appears saying:

220534.985Err:http://www.trackmyjourney.co.uk/ <skipped> @ URL;
220534.979Err:java.io.IOException: WapGatewayIP should be assigned an IP address @ W;

In my view, the latter could be related to the upload problem.

Cheers,

Mark.

Stephen

10:45
Monday
10-Dec-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Mark,

I've just uploaded a slightly updated BB8707 version - nothing major but it might help to trap the Uncaught Exception error, and allow access to the Settings page.

Before you install it could you firstly completely uninstall the previous version and then do a full reset of the BlackBerry (take the battery out for a few seconds).

Any luck? (Incidentally I've never been able to get TMJ-Mobile to run on the BB8707 simulator, so I'm surprised that it runs at all on your device!!)

Cheers,
Stephen

markpenders

22:40
Monday
10-Dec-2007

Phone Model:
BlackBerry Bold

Stephen,

this one seems to be working okay! I first tried with APN settings (which was unsuccessful), then I tried without, which works okay. I noticed that the screen formats seemed to belong to an older version of TMJ, could that be right?

One more thing: after installing, it was difficult to exit TMJ (the hanging problem as described elsewhere on the forum).

Cheers,

Mark.

Stephen

22:07
Tuesday
11-Dec-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Glad its worked! How do you mean about the screen formats - these shouldn't be much different from the other versions (save for the HDOP and SATs fields missing from the BlackBerry version as this information isn't available from the built-in GPS)?

Unfortunately the hanging issue seems to persist, I've yet to find the cause of this. Hopefully I'll fix it eventually!!

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)