Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Calibrating maps

Subject:Calibrating maps 

wojsyl

7:56
Saturday
13-Oct-2007

Can I calibrate a map with GPS once loaded in TMJ-mobile ?

wojsyl

18:14
Monday
15-Oct-2007

I mean set two points to set the scale of the map ?

Stephen

18:37
Monday
15-Oct-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi wojsyl,

No, I'm afraid maps need to be pre-calibrated using the Map Organiser program. I decided fairly early into writing TMJ-Mobile that although this would be a useful feature it would add too much to the complexity of the map-drawing functions and it would be better to keep it as processor/power-friendly as possible!

There is a Re-calibrate option in the TMJ-Mobile Map menu which allows the calibration to be slightly fine-tuned to allow for local distortions in the original calibration, but this is no substitute for properly calibrating the map to start with.

Cheers,
Stephen

wojsyl

6:55
Tuesday
16-Oct-2007

Hi, Map Organiser works great in Windows. I only wish it could save some preferences like the display resolution.

Can Map Organiser be run on a Java mobile phone ?

--w

nattila

6:31
Thursday
10-Sep-2009

I created a country map by map organizer. It has a little distorsion. I can re-calibrate with TMJ, but it doesn't save the correction. Would it be possible to save the fine-tuned position of raster maps? It's a bit annoying to recalibrate every time.

Stephen

9:49
Thursday
10-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Attila,

No problem, I've set the next version to save the Map Alignment when exiting/restarting.

Cheers,
Stephen

ChrisM

11:12
Monday
14-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
Sony Ericsson W770i, Blackberry Playbook(?)

Hi Stephen,

Probably a stupid question, but it WILL remember the map alignment for each map (TMJ) file, won't it?

regards,

Chris.

Stephen

15:19
Monday
14-Sep-2009

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Chris,

No, I'm afraid so far it'll only remember the alignment for the currently loaded map, so this gets reset if you switch to a different one. I'm a bit too close to releasing the next version to add that in right now, maybe the subsequent version...

Incidentally, the map alignment is only designed to work within small sections of each loaded map, as the alignment will change as you move further away from where it was first set. I'm therefore not sure that its really necessary/useful to save each maps 'last' alignment setting. If you're finding that a particular map has a 'constant' mis-alignment then you should go back to the MapOrganiser and recreate it, rather than using the alignment function in TMJ.

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)