Subject:Reverse route 

entangled

14:53
Thursday
11-Oct-2007

Phone Model:
LG KM900

Fantastic app -- I'm loving using it. A couple of comments:

1. The backlight function isn't working properly on my SE K810i. I know from other apps that the backlight can be made to stay on (e.g. MGMaps).

2. On reversing a route the direction indicators don't change. This means that when travelling in the reverse direction the arrow always points in the opposite direction. It's a little confusing!

Otherwise this is terrific -- please keep up the great work.

Stephen

7:41
Friday
12-Oct-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi entangled,

It seems that the Java code which allows control of the backlight works different between handsets (though I'd have thought your K810i would be similar to my W800i!). Can you describe in a bit more detail what its doing...

The arrows on the route page show the routepoint direction relative to the current direction of travel - ie, if an arrow is pointing straight upwards then the routepoint is directly ahead of you. Note that this only works correctly when you are moving - if you are stationary the GPS device is unable to tell which way you are heading, so the arrows may tend to jump around a bit.

Regards,
Stephen

entangled

13:41
Friday
12-Oct-2007

Phone Model:
LG KM900

Hi Stephen,

Many thanks for the reply.

" It seems that the Java code which allows control of the backlight works different between handsets (though I'd have thought your K810i would be similar to my W800i!). Can you describe in a bit more detail what its doing... "

Yes, strange. Checking/unchecking the backlight box makes no difference in the long run, as the screen still dims. However, immediately after checking the box I've noticed some odd things. Sometimes the screen dims (after unchecking) meaning that I can't read menus etc, so have to exit the app to get the screen to come back on. Other times (both checking and unchecking) it very briefly "blinks", but still dims after the usual period.

" The arrows on the route page show the routepoint direction relative to the current direction of travel - ie, if an arrow is pointing straight upwards then the routepoint is directly ahead of you. "

So what I'm seeing is that, whilst this works fine when following the route in the original direction, it doesn't when I check the Reverse Route option. Although the routepoints are reversed, the direction arrow points the wrong way (i.e. to the previous routepoint, rather than the next one). It's as though the app is using reading the route in reverse (i.e. original!) order to generate the directional arrow. Does that make sense?

Tried the map software today and it's great. Only snag was -- as has been pointed out elsewhere -- the OS map conversion saves the file as a jpeg when it's really a png. So you have to load the png into, say IrfanView, and re-save as a jpeg. Then the map calibration software works beautifully.

Many, many thanks again.

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)