Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Blackberry 8300 (curve)

Subject:Blackberry 8300 (curve) 

oldgeek

14:53
Saturday
29-Sep-2007

I've been trying to get TMJ to work on the Blackberry Curve. I have downloaded almost every available version. None of the JAD's seem to work, I get an error message. The JAR's will load and run but I don't get any menu, when I hit my menu key I only get one option "close". Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Stephen

12:41
Sunday
30-Sep-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi,

Due to the way the BlackBerry Menu key works this can't easily be used by TMJ-Mobile so I've instead mapped it to the P key - see this thread for more info.

Also, make sure that you download the BB8800 version - I think this should be the most suitable version for your phone.

Good luck!

oldgeek

15:01
Sunday
30-Sep-2007

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. The 8800 .jar file is working great now. The .jad wouldn't start and produced an error. I wish I had recorded the error at the time but I didn't. Also I am able pull up the menu with the 0 key. I haven't tried the P key but I will. Thanks a lot, this is awesome software.

oldgeek

20:13
Saturday
17-Nov-2007

Here is some information that might help, I have the 8300 Curve with the latest OS and a G-Stat GPS puck

I downloaded the 0.5.6 version of the 8800 cod file and and installed it over the Generic version jar. when I run it this is the error: Error starting tmjmobilebb8800: Module 'tmjmobilebb8800' does not match codfile timestamp of sibling module 'tmjmobilebb8800-1'

Then I uninstalled it first and downloaded it again and when I start it I get this error: Error starting tmjmobile8800: Module 'tmjmobile8800' has verification error 2916 at offset d009.

I downloaded the 8800 jar file and it seems to work but crashes often "uncaught exceptions"

I then decided to try the 0.5.4 Generic JAD and got this error: Error starting tmj$2dmobile: Module 'tmj$2dmobile' has verification error 2916 at offset cbfe

Now to go back to the 0.5.4 Generic JAR and it works but it crashes often with "uncaught exception" errors

I hope this helps, I had some time on my hands and I like this software and thought I would do what I could to help improve it.

Thanks

wayneh

3:49
Tuesday
20-Nov-2007

Phone Model:
BB 8230

I'm very close to having this working on my 8320 Curve, and I really want this to work. Please help.

When I activate bluetooth and the GPS, it appears to grab one reading and freeze. I get a static latitude, longitude, elevation and time. The clock no longer advances and I don't get any updating of the GPS information; no speed, heading or anything. If I close and restart the program, the values update but only once. If it's recording a track, I can't tell.

Extra comments: I've been looking high and low for a program that will record track information that I can later analyze on my Mac. Most of the things I've tried so far load OK but then fail at startup. GPSTrack works and records a track, but without time information, so no speed info or playback option. And it has almost zero eye candy except for a live satellite heading compass showing the moon and sun positions. BTW, regarding features, my 2¢: I have no particular interest in the web-related features unless they help me accomplish my tracking. It might be fun to let others see where I am, but that's secondary. In fact I'd prefer my track logger to work even when I'm climbing mountains and out of coverage areas. And I don't need "moving map" navigation as Google Maps Mobile now accommodates a GPS puck.

So far TMJ seems the most likely bet and offers some very cool features far above everything else I've looked at. I love the "nightlight" mode. But I'm having that problem holding a connection to the GPS receiver.

The jad files install but give the errors noted in this thread. The jar files install OK and the program starts and runs OK. For instance I can watch the nice analog clock ticking. And I think the 8800 version may be a bit better than the 8707 one, which worked for a while but would then produce an error if I tried to edit the settings file.

If I can get this working I promise to spread the word far and wide. This looks like it'll be a great piece of software if I can get past the little hurdles.

BB 8320 running v 4.2.2.180 on T-Mobile
GPS puck is a US Globalsat BT-359

Stephen

10:14
Tuesday
20-Nov-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi wayneh/oldgeek,

I've just uploaded BlackBerry COD versions of the installation files to the TMJ-Mobile download page - you might have more luck with these rather than the JAD/JAR files (I've not been able to fully test them though since I only have access to the BlackBerry simulators and not an actual device - makes BB development rather tricky generally!!)

Wayneh, you might have more luck if you disable the Internal GPS (deselect the Use Internal GPS option in the settings menu and restart the program) and allow TMJ-Mobile to connect to the bluetooth device directly. It will then have access to the raw data from the GPS device, rather than a filtered version provided by the phone. (Note that you won't be able to use the GPS device at the same time with other programs, but hopefully this isn't a problem).

Regards,
Stephen

oldgeek

11:10
Tuesday
20-Nov-2007

Thanks Stephen,

I'm not sure how to load a .cod file without a .alx file

wayneh

15:56
Tuesday
20-Nov-2007

Phone Model:
BB 8230

I've lost ability to get to the Settings... menu again. I think I'll just reinstall and see if I can test your suggestion.

As soon as I choose Settings, it quits and reports "! Uncaught exception java.lang.IllegalArgumentExcetion" (that's exactly how the last word is spelled, however it wraps between the "Exce" and the "tion"). Restarting TMJ is successful, I just can't get to the settings. Hunch: TMJ is having trouble trying to open or write to a file? I don't think any tracks have been recorded

I had been using the GPS menu option to "Auto connect" checkbox and then later enabled the internal GPS (which of course doesn't exist). Neither solves the issue.

As far as I know I'm not having trouble loading the jar files, unless you think an improper installation is causing my problems. I don't think I can easily load a cod file without a SDK.

Stephen

17:14
Tuesday
20-Nov-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Oh dear, looks like the COD file doesn't help much - the simulator is able to directly install from the COD file, so I assumed it would be the same on the actual device. I'll have to look into the .alx file, but I reckon as long as you are able to install from the JAR file then that should be sufficient.

The thing about the 'internal GPS' is that although your phone doesn't have a built-in receiver it is able to connect itself to the bluetooth device and then use that as if it was built-in. This is all very well, but the location information that the phone then makes available to TMJ-Mobile is fairly limited, for example it doesn't provide much detail on the individual satellites reception, and generally only provides an update every 5 seconds (although this clearly isn't working correctly on yours anyhow!!). By disabling the internal GPS option in TMJ-Mobile this should enable it to connect directly to the bluetooth device and receive the full data (which should then give a location update once per second).

Unfortunately I can't get the simulator to give an error when opening the Settings screen, but I'd suggest to start with that you completely uninstall TMJ-Mobile, fully restart your phone (turn it off and remove the battery for a few seconds), then reinstall again from the 8800 JAR file. I've just uploaded a slightly modified version (of the 8800 version only - its still listed as v0.5.6 though) which may help 'trap' the error that you are seeing - after accessing the Settings screen check the Main Menu/Display/Show Event Log and note down any errors which appear there.

Good luck!

Stephen

wayneh

19:30
Wednesday
21-Nov-2007

Phone Model:
BB 8230

Woohoo! We have joy using the latest 8800 jar file. I realize now part of my problem was getting the settings actually saved, not merely closing the settings dialog box. I was getting mad that the changes I made would disappear and be back to defaults when the settings were reopened, but then I figured out how to save. Once I saved the preference to not use the internal GPS, everything started working. The interface in general has been a bit confusing for me but I'm learning. Including the keymap for BBs in the user guide would help. I can vouch for the importance of READING the manual.

Now I just have to figure out all the features. Live positioning on the web is working! I'm still struggling a bit to get a saved track that I can move to a computer. Is a media card required for this? Is there a way to have the website record a track file? I tried to export a track to the device's internal memory but if it is there I can't find or use it.

One thing that seems to not work is the 3D view. Since I'm planning on doing most viewing on my laptop, this is minor for me but I thought you should know.

Stephen

12:59
Thursday
22-Nov-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Glad it worked!!

I'll add the BlackBerry info to the user guide as suggested - currently the key mapping can be seen in this thread.

It might be better if you did have a memory card in the phone - in the simulator it seems that the phone blocks TMJ-Mobile from saving to certain folders in the phones internal memory (after trying to save the track look in the Event Log to see if any errors are listed), but saving in the 'store/home/user' folder worked okay, as does saving to the SDCard. Also, make sure you have assigned application permissions to read/write data.

Alternatively, when you use the Web/Enable Upload function the current track should automatically be uploaded to the website (use the DEVICES link on the left to view the tracks). You can then download the track as a GPX or KML file.

The 3D page is disabled in the BlackBerry version as it doesn't have the required APIs to display it properly.

Regards,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)