Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / Maps

Subject:Maps 

psjtrack

14:36
Friday
28-Sep-2007

Stephen

Have only just tried new version of map organiser, thought I had a problem with missing output images till I finally realised I didn't need them. I did encounter a problem with multiple zoom levels, it errored with the OS converted file but not with my original non-converted file. I have not had a chance to re-try to check if was my error yet. OS Conversion tool is great.

You seem to have given us everything we need mapping wise, but there is one final cherry I would like to suggest.

This would be, to be able to point the top of the screen in the direction of travel. I am not suggesting fully rotational maps cos I would imagine thats very resource hungry, but maybe to rotate the map image on the screen to the nearest 90 degree whilst leaving the overlays where they are.

Sometimes you really have to think "where the hell is north" as your tanking along a bridleway heading for a 4 way split.

Not everyones cup of tea I am sure so an option rather than a feature.

Yours hopefully

psjtrack
PS your Isle of Wight map fully tested, works great.

Stephen

13:01
Sunday
30-Sep-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi psjtrack,

Glad the maps are working well!

I've been thinking about the map rotation idea, but to be honest I think this could get quite fiddly to implement - it would mean re-writing a fair amount of the Track page and Map page code (they both use the same code to display the waypoints/route etc). If it had been possible to properly rotate the map (ie by individual degrees) then I would definitely do this, but as you suggest, this would be far too processor intensive.

Will bear it in mind though...

Cheers,
Stephen

1:49
Wednesday
3-Oct-2007

Stephen

Shame, many thanks for looking though.

Been using os converter and map organiser 1.3 and I definately have a problem outputing multiple zoom with OS converted file. Get some kind of heap error if I have selected multiple zooms and works fine on a single zoom. Do not get any error with non os converted file.

I have found a work around.

The file the OS converter generates shows on the file system as a jpg, but it looks to big for a jpg. Sure enough if it read it into Micrograhx
and try and re-save it brings up png cos thats what it thinks it read. If I then save as a jpg the file size comes right down. If I then use the re-saved file in map organiser it works fine with as many zooms as I want.

Original file was 22meg jpg, converted file was 69meg, re-saved converted jpg file is 22meg.

Having sussed this, all is well just thought the info may be useful.

Regards

psjtrack (non-rotating)

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)