Forum: General Topics

Forums / General Topics / TMJ map organizer Calibration Problems

Subject:TMJ map organizer Calibration Problems 

davo

19:28
Thursday
5-Jul-2007

Hi all
Having alot of trouble trying to calibrate my scanned maps with map organizer. Using the instructions the maps seem to be OUT by alot if not at all. waypoints and directions arent on these maps?? I am using 24 jpg maps, and putting in the Lat and Long from known accurate calibrated maps. Help!! any tips or solutions??
thanks

DAVO

Stephen

10:00
Friday
6-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Davo,

A couple of thoughts... What projection are the maps in - if they are not perfectly 'rectangular' (ie, with longitude left to right, latitude top to bottom), then there will always be some inaccuracies, though I would expect the waypoints to still show up at least! Are you entering the latitude/longitude extents correctly - you need to ensure the +/- signs are the right way round (North and East are positive, South and West negative)...

Regards,
Stephen

davo

17:07
Tuesday
10-Jul-2007

Stephen,
In he southern Hemisphere, such as Australia, should the N be negative when calibrating maps. As I notice my home location is -38.xxxx N, 145.xxxxE

REgards,

Davo

Stephen

8:23
Wednesday
11-Jul-2007

Phone Model:
BB 9800 Torch
BlackBerry 8900
SE W910i
Nokia 5800

Hi Davo,

Yes, thats right.

Also, looking at the Map Organiser, the Min and Max Latitude labels might be a bit confusing - they should probably be labelled as Bottom and Top Latitudes instead. ie, the Min Latitude should be the latitude of the Bottom of your map, and the Max latitude the Top of the map. So in the southern hemisphere the Min Latitude will actually be a larger number than the Max Latitude!

eg, your figures will be something like:
Min Lat: -38.xxx
Max Lat: -37.xxx
Min Long: 145.xxx
Max Long: 146.xxx

Hope this makes sense! I'll probably re-label the Map Organiser next time I update it...

Cheers,
Stephen

(You must be logged in to post a reply to this thread)